Skip navigation
fantasypower2012
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes on startup - Windows 7

May 4, 2012 4:43 AM

Tags: #help #error #freezes #crash_on_startup #windows7_64-bit #phtoshop_cs3_extended

Hello,

Recently Photoshop CS3 Extended freezes when I launch it on my Windows 7 (64 bit) computer. The splash screen appears but then it just stops working (usually on initializing Tools). It then asks to exit or search for help.

I have read several things so far. To fix it I tried:

- disabling the TWAIN plugin

- resetting all tools

- deleting the Photoshop preferences file.

- deleting my printer from the control panel (some others said printer drivers could cause it)

But all of these did not help. Please let me know how I could fix this. It is not nice having a deadline and not being able to guarantee Photoshop will work.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to fantasypower2012

It is not nice having a deadline and not being able to guarantee Photoshop will work.

Nobody can guarantee that for any CS3 products on Windows 7 - they simply are not certified for it which pretty makes this a case of "either it works or it doesn't, but you're mostly on your own to figure out the details". The obvious thing to do is to run as admin to avoid permission issues. The behavior you describe very much sounds like it cannot access some stuff or not create its temporary file. You might use a tool like Sysinternals Process Monitor to wacth file and registry access to verify that. Another potential reason is that you changed your graphics driver and it fails in teh last step trying to draw the application window. Impossible to tell, since you did not provide any more detailed info....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to fantasypower2012

Have you looked at the Event Log?  The key is ususally what is listed as the Faulting Module.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points