Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing MVC files from the Sony HDR-TD10 3D Camcorder

May 3, 2012 9:28 AM

Does Premiere Pro CS6 support importing MVC files from the Sony HDR-TD-10 3D camcorder?

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Bengaldad

I've yet to see any promotion about editing in 3D with the new CS6 suite.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to Bengaldad

There are no changes regarding stereoscopic 3D editing in Premiere Pro CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 4:11 AM   in reply to Bengaldad

Yes I agree. The lack of support for 3D in CS6 is very poor. There is no support for 3D blu-ray in encore either. Clearly Adobe is lagging technically. All my video is now in 3D. Vegas Pro does support MVC  and also it can build 3d Blu-ray.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Unbelievable and unacceptable. This is extremely disappointing. Working in a small independent production company who works primarily in stereoscopic 3D I had truly hoped Adobe was going to address this with CS6 and offer a better solution then Cineform. As a company that prides itself in being able to work in native formats not having support for MVC(MTS) files is a big miss. We are forced to purchase Vegas(which I can't stand as sony is a joke and should have provided better support for mac and other NLE's with the release of their cameras but when has Sony ever done anything that doesn't benefit only Sony) or follow some huge workaround just to use these files. Even Avid with their latest release is attempting to address working in 3D and that came out before CS6. You should have taken a hint Adobe. I really hope this issue is addressed.

Overall the Premiere Pro upgrades in CS6 have been a huge disappointment with the exception of a very few things ie. adjustment layers. New default workspace. REALLY?!!!! Behind the times Adobe. This version should have come out in 2009 with FCP 7. With more and more work being done and expected in post this just does not cut it. The people you are taking advice from should be fired. All in all very frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to tommyceb

tommyceb,

What company do you work with/for? I may be needing a company to produce 3D DVD if Encore can not do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 11:33 PM   in reply to Bengaldad

NO Adobe does not support MVC in CS6, may be in CC?
    You first have to split S3D up into two avi files.( MVCtoAVI)
    Than use the newest plugin supported by Adobe: Quick3D
    you get SbS or Anagliph

Adobe:
    when are you going to support the MVC files?
    Even the Z10000 gives extra splitting work !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 31, 2013 11:35 PM   in reply to Toon&Beeld

sorry:  QuickS3D

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:42 AM   in reply to Toon&Beeld

I have to say, I am dual booting my Mac in Windows 7 so I can do a trial of the new Edius 7.  The Eduis support for m2ts files is supposed to be excellent.  I doubt that I'll abandon Adobe for Grass Valley but I'll probably have one Mac boot into Win 7 primarily to edit 3D in Edius

Only 113 Windows updates to go and I can install the Edius Trial!  I'll keep y'all posted

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

hello, 

a friend of mine has vegas12 and swears by it

he says that it does handle mvc so i stopped by and gave it a go

and so far so good: it's fun to use

i didn't complete anything on it

but it does show presets for mvc and all types of 3d, s3d material: even full sbs

now to find a way to author a 3d bluray (those programs are expensive)

it's a bummer that adobe has chosen to sit on the the sidelines again, it seems rather masochistic of them

cheers, j

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to tfi productions 44

>bummer that adobe has chosen to sit on the the sidelines again

I don't have a link (not interested in 3D) but I did read a news article in the past 2-3 weeks that ESPN is dropping support for 3D broadcasts... very expensive for too small a market

My "general" sense is that Adobe is not interested in being part of the leading edge... they work with established standards to have a large enough sales audience to make the effort profitable

Right now, I don't think Adobe is going to put much effort into 3D

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to John T Smith

We did do early work in stereoscopic 3D a few years ago, adding more stereoscopic 3D features in After Effects CS5.5... and we found that almost no one used them.

It's not that we're sitting on the sidelines; it's that when we have added features in this area, nearly no one used them, so we determined that this was not an area where we should focus.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

hello, 

i am a big fan of adobe: i love cs6 so far that i'm using it: no problems at all

i just wish s3d was better supported

i completely understand why it isn't

has anyone worked with the gopro s3d solution with PPRO cs6 please?

i would be interested in how the interface(s) work

thanks for clarifying adobe's pov

cheers,

j

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to tfi productions 44

has anyone worked with the gopro s3d solution with PPRO cs6 please?

i would be interested in how the interface(s) work

I did use the cineform interface and conversion ( with other camera's)  ik was quite easy to use.
    I guess the have a trial version of Gopro Studio.
    as wel the 2D as the 3D is based on metadata, so non destructive
    I that what you mean ?

http://cineform.com/workflow-overview

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

a few years ago, no one used them.

Things have changed, Todd.  if Adobe wants to play in Hollywood, native 3D effects and support across programs is a must on your To Do list, doncha think?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva
    and we found that almost no one used them.

I was that one...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

> Things have changed, Todd.  if Adobe wants to play in Hollywood, native 3D effects and support across programs is a must on your To Do list, doncha think?

No.

In fact, when we ask our customers (and potential customers) in feature film part of the industry what they want us to work on, that almost never comes up. Stereoscopic 3D is not a major factor now. It had a brief and shallow resurgence, but it's not a big part of the industry. Doing features in that area is a tremendous amount of work for a tiny payoff.

Of course, if you disagree, please submit feature requests to make your voice heard:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Well, that's fine if it's Adobe's policy.  But be aware that you **will** lose those of us who are editing 3D.  I'm still a committed Mac user, even after the FCP X debacle, but I'm dual booting into Windows 7 so I can try the 3D capabilities in Edius and maybe Vegas.  The very fact that there is *no* Apple program to deal with m2ts files makes me seriously wonder if it's time to go back to Windows.  Now that's not Adobe's problem; I recognize that.  But if I am doing s3d and I have to use a different editor (on a different platform) how long will it be before I stop dual booting and change platforms?  And how long after that will I decide I don't need to juggle multiple NLE's?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to Allynn Wilkinson

Like I said, if you want to cast your vote for more work in this area, use the feature request link that I provided. That's how we tally interest in such things.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Of course, if you disagree, please submit feature requests to make your voice heard:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

I good plan !   150 Years ago I tried 3D in photography and tape-slide shows... too complicated.. 

Regarding to those times it is easy now. The biggest problem are the glasses to be used, Up to the glasses-les S3D !! I've seen it from Philips and Dolby, not yet 100% ... but comming up
    Probably because there is to few film made in 3D. The low budget- camara's are in MVC

when it is easy to create, no technical issues, you onlu have to worry about your film and the script.  Now it is possible for a rather low budget. So sign up for s3D support in Premier.  In CC we dont have to wait for an upgrade in 2015.

Join in  !!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to Bengaldad

I use mvctoavi to produce cineform files.

QTGMC for deinterlacing.

Gopro Studio for 3D editing in Premiere Pro.

Vegus Pro for mvc encoding

DVD Architect Pro for building a 3D blu-ray disc.

Adobe are very unlikely to support mvc and so are being left behind by most of the other major editors.

I am going to drop Adobe all together in any case unless they come to their senses and abandon the cloud only policy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

when we ask our customers (and potential customers) in feature film part of the industry what they want us to work on, that almost never comes up. Stereoscopic 3D is not a major factor now. It had a brief and shallow resurgence, but it's not a big part of the industry. Doing features in that area is a tremendous amount of work for a tiny payoff.

I admit, I'm surprised.

While I do enjoy well shot 3D myself, I don't plan on actually producing any in the near future.  And if I ever did, I'd much rather be the director than the editor anyway.  I just like the idea of Premiere Pro being a major player in Hollywood, and with so many major movies being shot and released in 3D, I figured this would be critical for PP to make inroads to movies like Iron Man 4 or Avengers 2.

Really I just want that Adobe logo to show up at the end of the credits as often I we used to see the Kodak logo.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

hello,  i'm checking out the user guide to power director ultimate suite 11 and so far so sweeeeeet for mvc material and bluray disc authoring with menus

(which is what just vegas does (sondy dvd architect does the disc authoring but i don't see it available anymore))

also power director ultimate suite is only like 200$

perhaps this is the answer...

cheers, j

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 12:46 AM   in reply to Bengaldad

There is an active 3D forum on the AVS web site, and Sony and others continue to make 3D cameras.  While Adobe may think there is little or no interest in 3D, there is clearly interest elsewhere in stereoscopic 3D.

... and see LinkedIn ( and other social network) also for several 3D groups: technical and creative !

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 1:04 AM   in reply to tjh65

QTGMC for deinterlacing.

Thanks !!

BTW a good list ..:-)   
    I am going to chech this out !!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 3:26 AM   in reply to Bengaldad

In fact Power Director does not produce Profile 5 Blu-ray 3D discs. It does produce AVCHD 3D discs which most 3D players support.

Vegas Pro and  DVD Architect Pro do produce Profile 5 discs but are limited to 25Mb/s.

I have found that Vegas Pro and DVD Architect pro produces the better quality disc.

Both do not support interlaced video so you need to deinterlace for which I use QTGMC.

QTGMC is very slow but is the best deinterlacer I have found.

Multi threading is supported but a little difficult to setup.

As I said previously the Cloud is going to make Adobe a non starter for many people.

The lack of 3D is adding to the exodus from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to Bengaldad

Yes it is extremely sad adobe do not support 3D. Having been a premiere user since premiere 6 and all its upgrades (with various matrox cards and nightmares) to cs5.5 (did not see a huge improvement in cs6 for me to upgrade) i was forced to look at vegas (too many crashes) and lately switched over to edius 6.5 for the 3D work. I love the speed at which edius edits native 3D files and with proxy mode the scrubbing is sweet. I still use premiere because for the 2D work gets edited faster than edius as media encoder is a separate program and is able to render in the background. Edius is faster to edit but about 3 times slow for exporting hidef 3d and you can't work on another project while this is happening. All my films are shot in 3D now on either the td10 or z10000. Really miss the 3d support in premiere.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to Zahoor M. Sakharkar

So of we all fill in the wishform from line #17, may be ...

I did !

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points