Skip navigation
andrejfavia3
Currently Being Moderated

PDF export causes text to be pixelated (continued)

May 4, 2012 6:33 AM

Alright, what is going on with Adobe's accounts?

Apparently Adobe doesn't recognize my username and password for this second account, and when I ask to send a password to my email, I never get the email, so I had to create a third account just to post a thread and update it.   

And what the hell is going on with my original thread?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/988287

I can't find a Reply button anywhere to update my question. I just saw it there a few days ago. What happened to that? I can't find for the life of me another way to update my thread! Why is the thread marked (READ ONLY) when my question hasn't been answered yet?

You people have to be kidding me! This is seriously the most confusing, bewildering process I have ever had to go through just to ask a question and update it.

So that's why I'm creating this new thread. Here is a link to the old one:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/988287

Anyways!

Here is the update that I was trying to post for the past week, in that thread, but couldn't:

UPDATE:

I still have not received an answer to my question:

How do I export a vector drawing with text in Photoshop to a PDF, such that the text isn't pixelated when I view the PDF?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to andrejfavia3

Adobe closed the forum in which you originally posted because it was for prerelease/beta software. As the software has graduated from the incubation of  "Adobe Labs", you can post here now.

As a general rule of thumb, it is easier to get a response by narrowing your topic. Both this post and your original post included extraneous distractions from your interest in PDF export.

The first tip is to not print to PDF.

The "High Quality Print" Adobe PDF preset should give you what you need in PS CS5. If CS6 behaves differently, then you may have a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to andrejfavia3

If you have any faux text effects, that won't render as vector.

Without looking at your .psd, there could be any number of reasons your .pdf isn't rendered properly.

You can send me your .psd if you want.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to andrejfavia3

Unfortunately I have to use PDF, because I need the file to be infinitely resolved when I zoom in as much as I want (no pixelation).

But then again, why do it in Photoshop in the first place? You are using the most unsuitable tool I can think of to produce guaranteed vector-based output. The standard answer we use in the Illustrator forum a lot is: If it gets rasterized, then there is some appearance that makes the programm think it can only retain the look by converting to pixels. Contrary to what you think, just drawing it out as vectors doesn't guarantee vector output. There is any number of things that could be going on, so unless you tell us more about your setup and what PDF export options you actually use, this is an pretty unproductive discussion, but some of the common caveats are:

- you may not be allowed to embed the fonts

- you may have formatted the text with custom options

- your vector shapes may overlap in a way, that there is no way to calculate holes and self-intersections on paths within the PDF spec

- any number of issues with things involving transparencies and blending modes, including layer styles, partial opacities, adjustment layers

- nesting of layers/ paths in general

Again, without seeing what exactly you are doing, it's impossible to advise, but as a start check those things.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to andrejfavia3

Look at my profile, there is an email address, email the .psd to that. If the .psd is larger than 10MB, then (if you can) upload the file to either a server (f you have access to one), or use one of the many online services out there that allows you to send files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to andrejfavia3

andrejfavia3 wrote:

...does not place elements where they should belong to the precision that I need (e.g. one pixel), and I am not sure what other program to use to create vector drawings....

Why do you need one pixel precision with a vector drawing? Pixels are not relevant in vector art.

Alternative vector programs include Adobe Illustrator ($) and Inkscape (Free, GPL).

andrejfavia3 wrote:

Unfortunately I have to use PDF...

I did not say that you should not use PDF. I said that you should not print to PDF. You should only save to PDF. I guess I was not clear.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to andrejfavia3

I don't understand why Adobe can't just fix it so that if I want bold text, I can still have that exported to high-res.

There is nothing to fix. If you want bold text (as I have told you in emails), you just need to choose that option in the font variant drop down. If the font you want to use doesn't have a bold (or whatever variant), then look online to see if there is one available. If not, and you are strict about using a particular font, you can convert that font to a shape, the individually edit each character by expanding it (or you could do it easier in Illustrator by using "expand fill") - but your best bet is to just use the font varient instead of faux (which means fake) font effects. All those faux effects will not export with vector data.

How do I turn off all these million and one email notifications?

If you are viewing this thread online, at the top of the thread, click on "stop email notifications". The panel is on the right side of screen.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Mylenium

Photoshop is a raster application. Text created in Photoshop is still raster data with a vector shape that is defined. You will always get raster text unless the recieving application or device supports vector shapes and retains them as such.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points