Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cut and Paste Cross References

May 1, 2012 10:12 AM

As some of you know, I'm updating a book composed of chapter files, with cross references between chapters. This used to be incredibly buggy, with crashes and broken references common. Some of that is improved in CS5.5, but a couple of big issues remain, and I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

Two problems:

1. You generally can't cut and paste a cross reference. I have text that says "see page 27". I want to move this somewhere else in the same document. Cut it. Paste it. The paste comes in looking like this: "see <?>" -- and you get a broken link in the Hyperlinks panel. That really limits text editing. It doesn't always happen. Sometimes you'll paste and your cross reference works. But that's rare. And you can never copy and paste. That always breaks.
  2. Cross references refer to absolute file pathnames. I'd like to rename some chapter files. But I dare not because I assume that all cross references to destinations in those files will break.

Anybody have any suggestions for either of these things? Number 1 is a real work-stopper right now.

Many thanks,

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to SteveC100

First, as you already know, inter-document cross-refs are known to be "fragile." Second, if you have them in a book, you should open all of the book documents so ID isn't constantly opening and closing them in the background as you edit and it tries to updat the refs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to SteveC100

What can I say?

Peter Gold has recommended a third party plugin a number of times here (I don't do a lot of that sort of work), but pretty much anyone with any experience here says if you need cross-refs you should work with a single doc rather than a book if you want to avoid add-ons.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

What can I say?

Peter Gold has recommended a third party plugin a number of times here (I don't do a lot of that sort of work), but pretty much anyone with any experience here says if you need cross-refs you should work with a single doc rather than a book if you want to avoid add-ons.

It just occurred to me that the number of cross-references in a document, and the document's size may have an effect on stability of cross-file cross-references. [EDIT] I forgot to say, "perhaps smaller files will be more stable than larger ones, as an alternate to a single large file that avoids cross-file references."[/EDIT] I haven't tested this, but you might want to experiment. Also, the common suggestion for cleaning up files with Save As, and/or exporting to IDML, opening the IDML file, and saving it, may help with stability. Worth a try, IMO. If you do the testing, please report your results, good or bad. Thanks.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

What, you aren't going to tell him about the plugin? I was hoping you would since I can't remember the name....

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

What, you aren't going to tell him about the plugin? I was hoping you would since I can't remember the name....

Silly me! I wrongly assumed that you were referring to my mention of DTP Tools' Cross-References Plug-in for InDesign earlier in the thread. So, I just mentioned it.

SteveC100, there's a free trial you can experiment with. If you take it for a test, please post the results here - success or failure. The plug-in converts existing InDesign cross-references to its own, internally and reversibly, but it's a good idea to test with a saved copy. If others need to edit your docs, there's a free reader they can install to avoid missing plug-in messages. IIRC, DTP Tools cross-references adjust for text reflow, with the reader installed, but all users who need to change or insert new cross-references need a licensed copy.

Also, SteveC100, thanks for posting the sad news that 7.5.3 doesn't change the problem.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to peter at knowhowpro

peter at knowhowpro wrote:

Peter Spier wrote:

Silly me! I wrongly assumed that you were referring to my mention of DTP Tools' Cross-References Plug-in for InDesign earlier in the thread.

I probably was, but that part of the thread wasn't visible... <g>

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points