Skip navigation
Space0101
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting HTML

May 1, 2012 12:22 PM

Hi, this is probably a very obvious answer for most, but I was wondering, can I just export a site to HTML, and leave the files with someone else who doesn't use muse?

What I mean is that I'm wanting to design a site for someone, but for a one off payment, and have somebody else update the site, but that person doesn't have muse. So can they work with them files? Or if I do a site for someone, do I or someone that owns muse have to be the one to update it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Space0101

Hello,

Your best option in this case is to provide the client with the original .muse file and assets so they can edit/update the original site in Muse.

Muse is not intended to be a code generation hand-off tool for downstream editing. We recommend you do all of your site editing in Muse, rather than exporting the site from Muse and editing the code elsewhere. By staying within Muse, you can continue to use the full functionality of Muse to update your site. As soon as you move to altering the output of Muse, there's no going back (unless you're willing to re-make your changes each time you export from Muse). The HTML code output from Muse is not optimized for manual editing.

Best regards,

Corey

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Corey@Adobe

Corey@Adobe wrote:

Hello,

Your best option in this case is to provide the client with the original .muse file and assets so they can edit/update the original site in Muse.

Muse is not intended to be a code generation hand-off tool for downstream editing. We recommend you do all of your site editing in Muse, rather than exporting the site from Muse and editing the code elsewhere. By staying within Muse, you can continue to use the full functionality of Muse to update your site. As soon as you move to altering the output of Muse, there's no going back (unless you're willing to re-make your changes each time you export from Muse). The HTML code output from Muse is not optimized for manual editing.

Best regards,

Corey

Whao Corey! That answer is quite insightful. So Muse will be th new way to see web designing(Just like desktop publishing was revolutionalise). Hmm... It will be nice then to see MUSE integration with INDESIGN. A packaged indesign file for MUSE and Muse support for indesign file. So for low budget publishers that cannot afford Adobe DPS, the  MUSE/INDESIGN integration is the solution while still maintaining the integrity of the magazine/newspaper layout. Who cares about the codes - developers only. Hmmm.... Adobe keep it up.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to Space0101

Space0101 wrote:

...So if I sell someone a site, I need to be the one updating it? It's not possible at all for someone else to use the files?...

If you use Muse, you are doing more than selling someone a site. You are turning them into an Adobe customer for life. You become something of a franchisee for Adobe. Adobe is moving from a software producer to a service provider.

Corey's response may be explained in two ways. 1) The inability to manage a site with anything but Muse is a great lock-in for Adobe to ensure continuous revenue for themselves. 2) No HTML generator (not even the more mature apps that have been around for more than a decade)  produce HTML that is easily edited by others.

Why do they have a web designer but still need you? Do they actually have a contributor/editor?

Many designers in your position use a free CMS like WordPress, Joomla or Drupal to serve clients.  That allows you to assign access to edit the site if you don't want to apply endless content updates for your client.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to Space0101

Space0101 wrote:

...they will just need to add event dates to there website..

Very few people bother to visit a web site to discover event dates. This is something that is better pushed to customers via RSS, Facebook and/or ICS feed. A CMS can help in this regard.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points