Skip navigation
Johnrh76
Currently Being Moderated

Footage on computer good, footage on tv not so good.

May 4, 2012 2:13 AM

I was pleased to find my computer is perfectly calibrated to my footage, but not so pleased to find other comps and tvs aren't!:) on other systems, the footage is way darker, and on tvs way grainier and uglier. I know tvs are always some loss,but hoping to recoupe some.

I'm a zero on color correcting,  but I tried it a bit and all I could do was make it whiter.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know I've seen picture software that makes invisible detail reappear, and read about a day for night process, but couldn't find it. The biggest problems are a lot more black, and loss of color definition and detail. Also my bright footage has the same problem with too bright.

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to Johnrh76

Johnrh76 wrote:

I was pleased to find my computer is perfectly calibrated to my footage...

What method of monitor calibration did you use to make this determination?

Anyone have any suggestions?

A bit of information regarding how you are sending your video to the tv would help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Johnrh76

I had this problem once back then when I was using CS4, turned out to be my TV settings where quite unadjusted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to Johnrh76

More information needed for someone to help... click these links and provided the requested information
    -http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840
    -http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Johnrh76
    Anyone have any suggestions?

The standard isn't to adjust the content to fit other TVs.  You'll drive yourself crazy with that.  Rather you adjust (calibrate) the TVs to the same standard.

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Johnrh76

I just used my eyes to see that it was well calibrated on my screen

You really can't do that.  You need test patterns.  And computer monitors often don't calibrate all that well, especially when software, drivers and even Windows itself can alter the signal, so you really also need an external TV for proper quality monitoring.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Johnrh76

Yes well,

Use the bars and tones in CS5.5.2 PP to calibrate on a high definiution monitor and also calibrate your HD TV (set it to vivid if in doubt, do not use a cinema setting) correctly if your output is 1920 x 1080 p. I have had no issues in 5 years with Premiere Pro getting it right nor Sony Vegas.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Bob Dix Photographer

(set it to vivid if in doubt, do not use a cinema setting

Man, that's just really bad advice.  Typically, the Vivid setting will be way off, and the Cinema setting closer to proper calibration.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Hi Jim,

i come from a cinema background, the cinema setting on say a Sony Bravia degrades the image and colours, but, it is only my preference. I go way back to the start of cinemascope and technicolor, about 1956 ,my son like you ,reckons I am wrong, I can live with that.....at least johnrh76 could experiment ?

My contact from the largest digital cinema complex over here says the latest digital screening are not as good as 35mm film, I agree but, very few know any better anymore , unless you have been in the industry.? 

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Bob Dix Photographer

it is only my preference.

I'm not talking about preference.  I'm talking about proper calibration for accurate display of images.  For that, the Vivid setting is usually waaaaay off the mark, and the Cinema setting is usually closer to what it should be.  And "what it should be" is what you want when you're trying to grade or color correct some footage.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points