Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Encoding FLV using CBR doesn't work

May 3, 2012 11:34 PM

Hi

I'm using AfterEffects CS4 and have a problem with encoding a video as flv using the on2 VP6-codec. The video is supposed to play back as part of a flash-project on a netbook, and I noticed that the video is stuttering in two sections. Investigating this I found that in both sections the bitrate goes up to more than 5000 kbps. The encoding-bitrate was set to 3500 kbps, with undershoot set to 90%. So I tried different settings (also in combinations), like

- reducing bitrate to 2500 kbps

- setting undershoot to 100%

- setting undershoot to 0%

- using simple profile-encoding

- using CBR at 3500 kbps

None of these seem to prevent the bitrate from going over 5000kbps in those two sections. At least the CBR isn't working at all, as it should encode the video constantly at 3500 kbps. However datarate still jumps up and down, just like it were VBR.

What am I missing?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to ForrestGimp

Well, is there any audio? If so, that would also contribute, not just the video and your metrics may simply be off.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to ForrestGimp

As an alternative, have you tried running this through Adobe Media Encoder? This could be an AE specific limitation/ bug due to how it handles temporal encoding. Other than that perhaps download a trial of CS5.5/ CS6 if your system can handle it and try there... Also consider alternate encoders liek Sorenson Squeeze or Pro Coder....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Mylenium

As Mylenium suggests, Adobe Media Encoder is the right tool for this job.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points