Skip navigation
kd5150
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Flash Player Installer/Uninstaller 11.2.r202 has encountered a problem and needs to close

Apr 15, 2012 5:14 AM

Seems that with the last 3 or 4 Flash Player updates, once the update is complete but before the installer actually exits, I get an error message box telling me that "Adobe Flash Player Installer/Uninstaller 11.2.r202 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.", etc., etc., etc.  I've received this error message numerous times as most of the computers I work on are Windows XP SP3 (all updates) with Internet Explorer 8 as the browser, including my own computer and my wife's.  If I could copy & paste the details, I would.  But the temp file that's supposed to be created for error reporting purposes, isn't, and I'm not going to spend the next half an hour transcribing all the technical details.  I just want you to be aware there's a problem with your installer.       -kd5150-

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to kd5150

Can you try using the offline installer from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-pla yer-windows.html#Install_in_a_firewall_proxy_server_environment ?

If it still fails, can you go through the clean install procedure in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315 then run the offline installers again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to kd5150

The only thing I can think of is that your antivirus software is interfereing with the update process; what are you using, and what version?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to kd5150

I am getting this same error box, since last installing an Adobe Flash Player update a few days ago.  Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Flash Player and am still getting the error box several times a day.  I am on Vista Ultimate. I use Bitdefender antivirus, but was not getting these error msgs before. Would someone at Adobe address this issue? Or someone who has solved it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to kd5150

Thank you for replying.  Do you have this problem, and a solution?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 18, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to MichaelBr

I'm sorry you are running into this crash.  To help investigate the problem, we'll need you to do a few things for us.

First, add the following line to the file mms.cfg (open in Notepad)

SilentAutoUpdateVerboseLogging=1

You can find the mms.cfg file here:

xp, vista, and windows 7 32bit: c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\mms.cfg

windows 7 64bit: c:\windows\syswow64\macromed\flash\mms.cfg

Next, we'll want to get a crash dump so we can see what's going wrong.  You can enable crash logging on Windows Vista or 7 using the following steps:

1. Download the following files: Enable Crash Logging.reg and Disable Crash Logging.reg.
    2. Double-click the Enable Crash Logging.reg file. Click Yes in the Registry Editor dialog.
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. Let the updater/installer crash occur
    5. After the crash, open a file browser window and type the following in the navigation bar:%localappdata%
    6. Go to the CrashDump folder.
    7. Select the most recent file that appears with the extension .dmp.
    8. Double-click the Disable Crash Logging.reg file downloaded in Step 1 and click OK.
    9. Restart your computer.
    10. Zip up the .dmp file and mail it (or a dropbox link) to ccampbel@adobe.com with a link to this thread.

For XP, follow these steps:

1. Show hidden files.  For more details, see the instructions for Windows XP.
    2. Repeat the steps that resulted in the installer crash
    3. After the crash, open the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson
    4. Locate the file named with the extension .dmp that corresponds with the correct date and time
    5. Zip up the .dmp file and mail it (or a dropbox link) to ccampbel@adobe.com with a link to this thread.

In addition to the .dmp, please post or send me your Flash Installation.log.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I am following the steps.  One question: steps 6 and 7.  Once I select the file requested, I then go to the folder where the .reg file is and dbl-click it. But how will the file in step 6 still be highlighted (selected)  Or what do those 2 steps in that order mean for me to do?

Thanks,

Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to MichaelBr

HI again, Chris, I got the crash, and displayed the local directory following step 4, however there is no folder there called CrashDump. I also searched the computer for *.dmp and no file was created (none exists) with that extension.  Best, Michael

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 19, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to kd5150

Michael - Thank you for trying.  Would you be willing to do a desktop sharing session with me so I can take a look at the error and see if I can get a crash log created?  If so, please feel free to contact me at ccampbel@adobe.com.

kd5150 - We've got lots of XP systems, it's just a matter of reproducing it.  In our testing, we have not encountered this with XP, nor have I heard of other users running into crashes (except those that were using ESET's products).  I suspect there's a conflict with something specific to your system and am hoping that the crash log will give us additional details.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to kd5150

I've been having getting the same message for the last few weeks. Running XP with SP3. A recent update to flash player didn't solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 1, 2012 5:47 PM   in reply to Ariaija85

Could you try updating to the latest Flash Player 11.3 beta to see if this crash continues.  If it does, please follow the instructions in this post and send me the applicable crash dump.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 3, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to kd5150

kd5,

Posting a screenshot will definitely be helpful.  Here's what it should look like:

5-3-2012 3-50-47 PM.png

If you want to be notified when an update is available, click the Change Update Settings button, then select "Notify me when updates are available".

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 4, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to kd5150

This looks like a bug we had with an older player.  To make sure we're dealing with just the latest, let's try a clean install.

How do I do a clean install of Flash Player?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 11, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to kd5150

How did Adobe choose the version for you in Firefox?  Are you installing from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer?  If so, you should be getting 11.2.202.235 for both IE and Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to kd5150

kd5150 wrote:

Adobe chose the version of Flash for Firefox that was installed (v10.3.183.19), I didn't.

If this is the case, then you did not follow the clean install instructions from Chris' link.  The uninstaller would have uninstalled all Flash Player versions and components.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to kd5150

kd5150 wrote:

Adobe STILL wanted to install Flash v10.3.183.19

I am really curious now - where do you find the 10.3.183.19 download?  Can you give me the URL?

The only place I know where to download 10.3 is here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/889580 (and http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html).

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to kd5150

Interesting!  If I go there I see

fp11dl.PNG

I will later try on a 32-bit system.  But I don't think users should by default getting a 10.x download.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to kd5150

On Windows XP, 32-bit, with Firefox 12 I get

fpdl.png

On the same system, using Internet Explorer 8, I get

fpie.png

Can you try clearing the IE8 browser cache, then try again?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to MichaelBr

Dito here...

Win XP SP3

Browser Firefox 13.0.1

No network, laptops do not connect to the PC

Problem started after the last Flash update a few days ago.

In my case it also blocks Photoshop CS5 if I am working in it so that I have to start all over again after a reboot, loosing all changes I had already made.

Could someone please create a new update with a fix for this problem as (without wanting to rant in turn or be unfriendly) I am kind of tired of being a techy half of my time so I can keep on doing what I have the computer for in the first place...

An addition to my post:

I have done the clean install and installed the 10.3 version that never gave me a problem. Maybe this way I can wait out till a solution is found...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to ssnnil

I'm having the same problem and it is becoming really annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to ssnnil

I talked to Adobe this morning and they helped me out of this.

Go to "Adobe Flash Player Support" us use this url:  http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Follow the directions and download the latest version of Flash Player.

That will fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to JeffS47

same as everyone else, the installer worked fine, but the updater breaks every few minutes, it's really annoying when playing a game.

Here's what it says:

"Adobe® Flash® Player Update Service 11.3 r300 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

There is a "more info" kind of link, and it has this:

"EventType : BEX     P1 : FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe     P2 : 11.3.300.262

P3 : 4fe2118a     P4 : FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe     P5 : 11.3.300.262    

P6 : 4fe2118a     P7 : 0002970a     P8 : c0000409     P9 : 00000000     "

There is a "more technical info" link too.

C:\DOCUME~1\khrys\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER150e.dir00\FlashPlayerUpdateService .exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\khrys\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER150e.dir00\appcompat.txt

Unfortunately, by the time O got there, the folder WER150e.dir00 had disappeared, if it ever existed.

Well,  I went to that URL, and it said I have version 11.3.300.257, I run Windows XP (32-bit), and Google Chrome (for now, but I use many browsers to test my sites).

Unfortunately, this seems to be the latest version, so no update is available to me.

I hope there is a fix soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to khrysenthem

Same problem here.  Really annoying.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to stoneturtle

I have the same problems on ALL of my Window XP computers and it is a real problem, as we are a research lab and this darn ERROR message comes up ALL the time. 

"Adobe® Flash® Player Update Service 11.3 r300 has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I need a fix for this ASAP!!  FLASH is working fine and I have manually loaded the current version as others above have stated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 27, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to stoneturtle

Same problem.  I wish they would fix it!  It started a few days ago also.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2012 8:40 AM   in reply to kd5150

I just thought that I would chime in here. I was having the same issue with the error constantly popping up, even on a restart. I downloaded the latest version http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and disabled my virus scan before installing. And it seems to have fixed the issue. I will have to see in the next couple of days if it is fully resolved. BTW, I'm using Windows XP SP3 with AVG virus scan. I do know that with AVG, they have recently done something where it blocks updates. Ran in to the same issue updated a Symentec program. Hope this helps others.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Jul 10, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to chucky1382

Please see this post for the latest updates: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4547234#4547234

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Hi Chris,

I have emailed you on Monday asking if you could send me the test build but haven't heard back from you.

I have a user here who has this problem and would like to trial the test build you have to see if this fixes their problem.

Look forward to heaing from you.

Thanks,

Binh

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers