Skip navigation
jennifer.jones214
Currently Being Moderated

Newest Version of Flash Player Issues With Firefox 12.0

May 3, 2012 6:19 PM

Tags: #flash #firefox #player #freeze

Firefox just updated today to its newest version 12.0. After updating, every website was running slow or freezing. I eventually discovered that the culprit was the Adobe Flash Player Plugin. Disabling the plugin returned things to normal. I would like to still use the flash plug in, but have not found a way to enable it without all websites freezing. I am using a Windows 7 64-bit operating system. I have tired uninstalling and reinstalling the flash player and I have double checked that I am using the newest version of Flash Player. I have cleared the Flash Player cache, tried disabling the hardware acceleration option, and restarted my computer inbetween several times. I am offically at a loss for what to do? Please help me.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to jennifer.jones214

And that did not happen with the previous Firefox version?

I am on a similar 64-bit system, but I am not using Firefox, but the 64-bit version: Waterfox.  Can you try that and see if it works better than the 32-bit Firefox?

Disabling Hardware Acceleration did not change that behaviour?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to jennifer.jones214

Jennifer,

I've found that creating a new profile has solved many mysterious Firefox issues with Flash.  You might want to give this a try.

Make a new profile

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 7:01 PM   in reply to jennifer.jones214

jennifer.jones214 wrote:

In your  opinion, should I uninstall Firefox if I am installing Waterfox?

Waterfox can coexist peacefully with Waterfox.  I have both installed, but never use Firefox any more.

Not only can Waterfox run in 64-bit address space, it also is better optimized during compile time than Firefox.  (For obvious reasons; Firefox is compatible with many old systems, Waterfox only needs to be compatible with new 64-bit systems.)

P.S. regarding Chris' advice above; Firefox and Waterfox use the same profile, so if that is actually the problem, then it will occur in both browsers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to jennifer.jones214

I'm glad you are having success with Waterfox; sorry I couldn't help with Firefox.

As I wrote earlier, you do not need to uninstall Firefox, but if you decide to do, make sure you don't delete any user data (Bookmarks, cookies, etc.), as they are used by Waterfox.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points