Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Sync Issues (More info)

May 4, 2012 8:38 AM

Additions to my post:

I am using CS5. I imported clips shot on a XDCam at 1440x1080 29.97 fps. I set up a new project to match the resolution. After I import a folder with many clips, I clicked on the clip to watch it in source monitor. It is out of sync as are other clips. I brought clips into the timeline and played - they are out of sync. I have no idea why. I am using Windows 7, 64 bit, 8BG of RAM.

I opened up the clips in an XD Cam browser and they play fine - in sync.

Can someone offer assistance as to why they are out of sync in CS5, and how do I fix this?

The camera the footage was shot on was a XD Cam that recorded to blu ray discs. After the transfer to my drive, they read as MXF files - not the usual BPAV folder with MP4 clips. Are these MXF files an issue for CS5?
They all came in a 4 mono channel which I converted to stereo 2 channnels. But either way, mon or stereo, the clips are out of sync.

Thanks, Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to steverup50

After the transfer to my drive

How exactly where they 'transferred'?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to steverup50
    I am not sure how the cameraman transferred them from the blu-ray discs.

Can you find out?  I suspect some type of software was used to do the transfer.  Ideally, all he wants to do is use a file manager like Explorer or Finder and simply copy the entire disk over.  Seems some of the manufacturers' software copy programs actually alter the original file/folder structure when copying, and that has caused issues in the past.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to steverup50

OK.

Did you get all that data from him, or just the MXF files?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to steverup50

What exact version number of Premiere Pro? (I.e., have you installed all of the updates?)

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to steverup50

5.5.2. is the latest for CS5.5.  For your version of CS5, the latest is 5.0.3 on Windows and 5.0.4 on Macs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 6:23 PM   in reply to steverup50

Just choose Help > Updates.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 11:57 PM   in reply to steverup50

I *think* that what you've done is transfer files that are in a 'internal' state and aren't meant to be read as media by NLE applications.  This is a little wacky, but there's something called 'FAM' (file access mode) driver.  This driver reinterprets the data from this internal MXF formatting (which is not OP1a compliant at this point) and shuffles it around to make it appear as a normal XDCAM HD clip.

If, however, you don't have the FAM driver installed and somehow managed to mount the disk as a drive & copied the files as is, then you get this strange behaviour where the clips don't work correctly. (For instance, you can't drop the blu-ray disk into an optical drive & copy them directly, it needs to be mounted via the deck!)  So I'd suggest backtracking & making sure you've installed the Sony Transfer software & FAM driver correctly, and try copying the clips from the disk via the deck; the other thing is to make sure that the deck is correctly mounted in PC Remote mode...

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to steverup50

I suspected that the update would do it. There was a bug fix for MPEG-related files and audio synch in one of the 5.0.x updates. To clear out all negative effects of that specific bug, you need to clear the media cache so that the files created with the "bad" software are no longer in use.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points