Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My book is gone… Has it been saved somewhere

Mar 30, 2012 1:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was testing Lightroom 4 Beta and I prepared a Blurb Book... I worked on it over a period of several days, and it was find, always there... It kind of automatically saved, once it has been created, for what I understood.

Today I was working on a photoshop file to creat a cover for it (no template allowing me to do what I needed inside of Lightroom), and that was the last step before to send it to print.

I had to navigate into the Library module to send pictures to photoshop. And when I get back to the Book module... it was all reset. No picture, only a 2 pages empty project.

I quited without saving anything, hoping to get the software back to where it was, but it didn't work. It seems I lost all my work.

I'm not familliar with apps that save projects on there own. Where is my book? How can I get it back?

Thanks in advance for helping me...

Julien

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to Julien Deka

I've not used the book module as yet, but I did notice that in the release notes for the 4.1 beta it says "It was possible that a layout of a saved book could be lost after quitting Lightroom 4" (this was one of the things that's been fixed apparently)... Now I've not heard of anyone else actually losing a layout, but perhaps you've been really unlucky. I hope not - sounds like a lot of work.

M

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:04 PM   in reply to Julien Deka

I just updated to LR4.1 and I noticed my books are gone!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Julien Deka

Yes, beware making books in Lightroom 4: I'm working on several book projects and when I flip over to another book or library to copy, move or paste something I loose the book I'm working on. I am a regular user of Aperture and purchased Lightroom 4 mainly because of its Blurb Bookmaking capabilities. I'm running version 4.0 and the software update says this is the latest...

I've lost five hours of work today alone because of this. Be careful out there!

Here is link to another discussion on the same topic:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/dzzps02bdogcs

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    May 4, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to Julien Deka

We lost a book we were just about to upload as well. RC2 on a new iMac running Lyon (or is it 'Lion'? Maybe it's lyin'). Just gone - the catalog shows it at 25 pages, but there's nothing there and nothing to recover. Gone!

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Bartone

Please give more detail. Where do you see 25 pages? Had you saved the book? What exactly do you see in the main central area of Book? What do you see in the filmstrip? And any idea what you were doing when the book disappeared?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

Left side, catalogs (blurb book) shows 25 or 26 images in number only, no images show. We saved it as a pdf only, so our edit ability is gone. I've read of this a bunch of times - often after copying and pasting from another book (we pasted from another page of the same book). Had text and pics, several with backgrounds. Nothing exists except the number of pages in the (ghost) book. Yes, the book was saved, LR was closed and reopened.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Bartone

So by "catalogs" you mean "collections"? So in Book's central window, when it is in grid view, are there now no pages? What do you see in the filmstrip? The pictures, but are there numbers above them?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Yes, 'Collections'! My memory's leakier than a 1983 PC. So, nothing in the pages except the number (25) and perhaps 3 blank pages showing there. Filmstrip is empty.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to Bartone

Thanks. That's all nice and specific for any passing Adobe engineer - I'll let you off the "perhaps 3 blank pages"

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

Hi,

I just had the exact same issue.  I'm running 4.0, and in the collection for the book there is a number 1 above each of the images in the collection, but the pages of the content saved in the book have all disappeared: missing bok.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:45 AM   in reply to Random_Rich

That's not quite the same. Notice how in your case there are numbers on the photos in the filmstrip, while Bartone said "Filmstrip is empty."

Any idea what you were doing when it happened? Your issue looks like one I hit, and I suspect it was when I moved between books while staying in Book. I don't seem to get it when I go back to Library and change the book there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 5:42 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

I just lost a 200 page book I've been working on for days.  I am outraged.  I was working on the very last page and it's all gone.

I was just working on an image I wanted to import via the Library, and when I went back to the book, ONE BLANK COVER AND ONE BLANK PAGE.

I have everything backing up on Time Machine, but not sure if I just click on Lightroom in the previous back up if it will show up..  Where does Lightroom store everything?

This is devastating.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to lucien58

Alas, my last Catalog back up was from a few days ago.  Not helpful.  but I do a Time Machine back up every hour.  Would my last work before that back up be saved somewhere?

ANYONE PLEASE.  I AM ON DEADLINE

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to lucien58

No doubt your time machine backup would be helpful. At the least, you could try - not much to lose. I'm wondering when Adobe is going to talk about this bug!

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 8:26 PM   in reply to Bartone

Hey Bartone, thank you.

yes, I did go to my Time Machine backup and fortunately it had backed up one hour before my loss of the book, even though there was still a lot of work I had done in that hour, but still, that's better than losing the whole thing.  I am uploading the book to blurb now.  sigh and/or phewww

Yes, I am quite confused by the way Lightroom handles files.  I also went back and changed my Catalog back up settings to Back Up catalog everytime I quit Lightroom, and to be sure that it's backing up every now and then, I am having to quit every fifteen minutes or so to insure that not a lot is lost, just in case..   Why can't they just add a File:Back-Up feature, or what is really wrong with File:Save.  It just all seems so Counter Intuitive, Adobe just wants to do things differently when they were just fine???

Lightroom is pretty powerful, and I haven't even begun exploring all I can do with it.  I just started using it intuitively not having read any how-tos or seen any tutorials, but still..

thanks again

:L

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to Julien Deka

Wow, this is horrible...I even upgraded to 4.1 (non-RC) and it's still not saving my books. What a waste of time! I have wedding books to print!

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to chairmoistener

Provide more detailed information.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

John, it's the same issue as the person who posted the screen shot above...I too have about 95 images that were laid out, first in auto-layout. I switched over to the Library module, then back to Books, and was presented with the same screen as the user's screenshot above (more or less identical). I'm running PC Windows 7 (latest update) home premium.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to chairmoistener

Thanks, that's helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Julien Deka

I just lost a complete layout last night and I am sick over it.....don't know what to do either.

K

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to akjcapecod44

Try to remember exactly what you were doing when it happened and record any details here. We're looking for clues!

Do you have a backup of your catalogue? Does it contain any of the work on the book?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

I am having the same issue as the image show above using v4.1.  Lost my 60 page book.  I was switching from the book to develop a picture.  Then, something happen.

Has any1 from adode address this issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 3:43 AM   in reply to Julien Deka

I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday on a 200+ page book I've been slaving over in the book module in LR4. Went to work on a second book that I had just begun to organize and came back to a full filmstrip (including the usage numbers showing me that all of the images had been used including a tiny 2 for a cover image) and the 4 blank pages we all see upon starting a project. Gone. Poof.

I can't begin to tell you the sick feeling over losing this. (I'm sure some of you are feeling the same way.) I have always felt very confidant in LR's "saving" and "backup" abilities. Now I am devastated and have lost total confidence. Do I try again or move to another program? Did I mention how sick I am over this?

Having read this and another forum stream on the same topic and having not seen any response from Adobe, I feel compelled to put this out publicly.

Fortunately, I have over 2,000,000 followers on Google+. Perhaps that will help get this problem addressed.

(Big *******' sigh)

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 5:24 AM   in reply to Alan-Shapiro-Photography

For the time being nobody can be advised to actually use the book module, as probability is high that you will be bitten by the "book-vanishing-bug", which Marko Nara could reproduce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXICvRYjEVM&feature=youtu.be

Adobe has not commented much on the bug/feature request forum either (http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/dzzps02bdogcs), it just says "in progress" after a false early claim of having solved it with 4.1, which had to be taken back.

4.2 does not mention this bug in their list of corrections (http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/).

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

So here's the big question:

Do I go on my Google+ page (with over 2,000,000 followers) and Facebook and start screaming "Do not use the book module in LR$ under any circumstances until Adobe has resolved this publicly" or do I wait for them to respond to my request for help.

And in the meantime, do I try again or use a different program?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

I think "probability is high" overstates the case, and I would encourage people to use the book module . However, the risk is significant enough for people to be wary, and I would advise duplicating the book at various stages.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

John, I believe I had duplicated my "saved" book and that led to the issue. Question is...is anyone gonna respond with any sort of reasonable answer from Adobe and how much risk do you want to take. I cannot recover any of the over 100 hours of work I put in. Do you really

want other people to go through the same level of frustration?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Alan-Shapiro-Photography

Alan, remember this is a user-user forum, so you're not addressing Adobe here and may not get an Adobe response. I know Adobe are taking it seriously, but the trouble (shown by the report Cornelia mentions) is that there may be more than one difficult-to-repeat problem with the same apparent symptoms.

By "duplicate" I mean right clicking and selecting "duplicate book". I've never seen this command causing the error, but my pet theory is that the problem is occuring when switching between books in the book module. The more specific detail Adobe gets, the better the chances of a resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Alan-Shapiro-Photography

Alan

2,000,000 followers, wow.  that IS  a weapon.  Use it.

I have had this devastating phenomenon happen to me as well, several times.  I still use LR because for some book projects, it just suits perfectly.   My workaround is to quit the program every fifteen minutes or so and have it back itself up.  While I am working on a book, I also have my Time Capsule back up take place every half an hour or so.  It does that in the background and it may slow things just a bit, but in the end, I have at least the last half hour's back up of LR's back up.

I've been able to rescue two books this way.

It seems that our favorite companies, (well mine at least) such as Adobe, Apple, Nikon, etc.  have become so big and with the age of outsourcing, and automation, and no-one to talk to on a phone, we will face these annoyances all the time.  I can't tell you how much time I spend trying to address issues with these and other companies.

And every wonders where all the jobs have gone.

If you have any recent back ups, then try to salvage whatever you have of your book.  Otherwise, frequent back ups is my advice..

Good Luck

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 3, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Spent 3+ hours on the phone with Adobe Tech Support this morning. Spoke with a rep, the rep's supervisor and the supervisor's supervisor. Was like a bad keystone cops movie. Still waiting for the callback after they said they would escalate it.n the filmstrip but many had converted back to their original RAW format

Funny thing when I went into my LR backups, is that the images were still in the filmstrip but many had defaulted back to their origiunal, unprocessed RAW format. And still no pages.

Same thing when I went back via Time Capsule.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but this is crazy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points