Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS5 pdf switching layers on 2nd page?

May 4, 2012 9:29 AM

Hi all,

Using CS5.5 with patch 7_5_2 on a mac.

This doesn't happen on the first page!

Elements on layer 1 in my Indesign master page have moved to layer 2 in my exported pdf?

If I group  layer 1 before I export it, it does not happen?

Is this a bug? Anyone else encountered it happening?

Cheers in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to MadMich

Try the 7.5.3 update that was released this week and see if it helps....

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 10:41 AM   in reply to MadMich

OK, I've never seen this, but I don't export a lot of layered PDF becasue I work for print.

Are the objects overridden? Grouped with anything else? Can you show us a screen shot of the object selected (or at least with frame edge showing to identify the layer), and the layers panel for the page in ID, and the perhaps the same page withthe layer turned off in Acrobat?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to MadMich

It seems that on page number 2 the master page item is overirdden and moved to layer 2 , but I dont think that is the case here.

The indesign file seems to be quite simple , Is it possible to share?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to MadMich

Using file share sites that require membership to download is not a friendly way to share.

I don't have your file, but you mentioned that this only happens with converted files. We get enough reports of strange behavior when converting files to CS5 thaat my standard advice is now to export the file from the original version as either .inx or .idml and open that in CS5 instead. If you can't do that, opent the .indd and immediately export to .idml, then open that and save as .indd with a new name (never overwrite the original version).

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:16 AM   in reply to MadMich

Yeah, it does sound like something more.

I'll send you an upload link whre you can share with me privately so I don't have to join 4share.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to MadMich

Can you tell us what export settings you are using?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to MadMich

I have your file, and I can confirm the behavior in CS5 and CS5.5, and I can reproduce it with a new file of my own as well. I'm 99.999% sure this is a bug -- exported .idml from the files shows the error in CS5/5.5, but not in CS4.

Even more interesting than your observation of the object moving to the second layer is that the object that was on the second layer is now not on any layer at all -- if you hide all the layers it's still visible. I'm not really sure there's a point in trying to report the bug for CS5/5.5 as CS6 is due tomorrow and it's very unlikely to get get fixed in an earlier version, but I'll open a discussion with some other users with contacts onthe engineering team and see if there is any encouragement.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to MadMich

I've not heard anything more, but that's not unusual. I would say that it's not terribly likley to get fixed, though, in CS5 if CS6 works. Most bug fixes are not ported backwards because the time to test in a previous version is expensive and rarely available unless it's a bug that is stopping a large number of users from having any functionality at all (like the recent problem with the update to Lion that crashes multiple versions of ID on new Apple hardware) and because the risk of breaking something else is also high.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points