Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

cs6 did you notice a lag using the paint brush with opengl on ?

May 5, 2012 2:42 AM

Hi

i did notice a lag (almostac ceptable, passable) using the brush tool , painting black and white on the maskes

i tried different video card from nvidia to ati , but did not find a real solution

the only solution is set the opengl off or set to basic

did you notice the same issue?

i did update all the drivers

thanks

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 5, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

The Smudge Tool seems slow in Photoshop CS6 because of an apparent bug where the code acts as though it has a zero or near-zero brush spacing and loops excessively, but I hadn't really noticed that normal brushing operations with the plain Brush Tool have a noticable lag or are particularly slow.  However, I didn't do objective measurements before...

A while back I posted a thread on Ps Performance, in which I timed some operations done in Photoshop CS5.  One of the operations (step 3) was to brush across a particular sized image with a particular sized brush.   Since you brought this up, I just re-characterized both Photoshop CS5 and CS6 on my system as it currently is here with the same brush operations...

>3. Strokes with a round, soft brush with spacing at 10%

When the two applications were run one after the other, Photoshop CS6 64 bit did seem slightly slower to me, yet seemed to make more accurate strokes, as though the event queue was deeper, where it was overflowing and causing straight line strokes in Photoshop CS5.

Dragging a big 2500 pixel brush from corner to corner in  a 10000 x 8000 x 16 bits/channel image took 5.6 seconds to catch up in Photoshop CS6, and 3.0 seconds in Photoshop CS5, so this seems to confirm that Ps CS6 is a bit slower with a standard brush.  But interestingly the deeper queue and better stroke tracking definitely make it more usable in Photoshop CS6.  If you're willing to wait for it to catch up, you can paint smooth curves freehand even with a 2500 pixel brush in CS6.

2500.jpg

Interestingly, with the Mixer Brush, the same exercise with a 300 pixel bristle brush on default settings seemed to place Photoshop CS5 and CS6 on just about an equal footing.  Performance seemed about the same, or maybe even slightly faster in Photoshop CS6, and again the brush strokes track mouse movement more truly and completely in Photoshop CS6, making the Mixer Brush definitely more usable.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

If you have an adequate video card there should be no lag.  With CS6 some changes were made so now some of the functions rely on a new Mecury graphics engine.  This may take a little more horsepower and latest drivers.

From a CS6 posting

Tested video cards for Photoshop CS6

Adobe tested the following video cards before the release of Photoshop CS6­­­. This document lists the video card by series. The minimum amount of RAM supported on video cards for Photoshop CS6 is 256 MB.

Note: Adobe tested laptop and desktop versions of the following cards. Be sure to download the latest driver for your specific model. (Laptop and desktop versions have slightly different names.)

nVidia GeForce 8000, 9000, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 series 

nVidia Quadro 400, 600, 2000, 4000 (Mac & Win), CX, 5000, 6000

AMD/ATI Radeon 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 series

AMD/ATI FirePro 3800, 4800, 5800, 7800, 8800, 9800, 3900, 4900, 5900, 7900

Intel Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics P3000, Intel HD Graphics P4000

Note: ATI X1000 series and nVidia 7000 series cards are no longer being tested and are not officially supported in CS6 – some basic GL functionality may be available for both these cards.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 5, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt, I have a supported card (ATI Radeon HD 5670) and everything GPU-oriented is turned on and working.  The use of the GPU for actual brush painting operations seems to be no different than it was in Photoshop CS5.

It seems you can always get lag if you make a brush big enough.  I'd certainly like to hear from someone for whom that's not the case.  Only more powerful CPUs seem to make brush painting operations faster.  People with the latest i7s, for example, like Trevor find that painting is more interactive.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, I am not the expert you are in these matters, not even sure how to test the lag.

I did open a 6500 x 6200 pixel document in both CS5 and CS6.  There I used a 500,1500 and 2500 brush sizem 0 hardness.  Just looking at it they seem the same but the hard brush was a little faster.

When you advance the brush the larger the brush the longer it takes to fill the circle, but seems to be same on both programs.

I have an ATI HD 5450 card 8 gigs of RAM and an i7 CPU, about 2 years old.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 5, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

seems to be same on both programs.

Exactly.  It took dragging a huge brush across a giant document and timing with a stopwatch to detect the difference.

Thus my conclusion is that the Mercury graphics engine either isn't accelerating plain old brush painting, or it has been (without being named as such) since Photoshop CS5.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:11 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

hi, do you have anymore details on the smudge bug, or if it'll be fixed soon- it's a tool i use extensively, and it's behaviour in cs6 is pretty disappointing?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

I found a fix for this problem.

Found this on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qVdqQOlyRg

Follow the video.

I didnt , i just went to this link http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4056  and downloaded the zip file and used all registry entries. Works like a charm now. No lag whatsoever , in Advanced mode.

P.S - i know it says CS5 on the video and CS4 on the adobe link but it works with CS4 , CS5 and CS6 as well .

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 8, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to iwouldntknow

iwouldntknow wrote:

hi, do you have anymore details on the smudge bug, or if it'll be fixed soon- it's a tool i use extensively, and it's behaviour in cs6 is pretty disappointing?

A look at the executables in the Photoshop installation area reveals they were updated in mid-March, so virtually none of the problems reported during the public beta are going to have been fixed.

Kasondroid wrote:

i just went to this link http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4056 and downloaded the zip file and used all registry entries. Works like a charm now. No lag whatsoever , in Advanced mode.

What do you mean, exactly?

That zip file has 4 different registry files in it, some of which do the exact opposite of others.  You didn't apply them all did you?   And they apply ONLY to Photoshop CS4.  You are wrong if you think otherwise.

Chances are all you've done is disable Photoshop CS4 from using your Graphics Processor entirely - something you likely could have done just as well by going into Preferences - Performance and unchecking [  ] Use OpenGL.  Now you'll be working without using any GPU acceleration, which may have worked around a driver bug (that you could have fixed another way) but is also going to prevent you from using some very nice features of Photoshop.

You really need to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Kasondroid

You used *ALL* of the registry entries?

You just created one huge mess if you did.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

i infact did use them all , but it seems to be fixed now. Also unchecking OpenGL didnt help but these did . I definitely do not know what the reg entries do but as long as photoshop works well.

I made a mess? Well should i reinstall or remove the reg entries?

Okay so how do i fix this then cause hardware cannot be the problem , my system - i7 2600k , 16GB ram , ATI HD6950 2 GB. So what else can be the problem?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 8, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Kasondroid

Kasondroid wrote:

I definitely do not know what the reg entries do

Exactly my point.

The specific registry files you downloaded at the exact link you posted above can affect only Photoshop CS4.  If you don't have Photoshop CS4 they're doing nothing for you, and you probably need not do anything to undo what you've done (unless you want to run Photoshop CS4 some day).

If you saw something get better, it was a coincidence.

I realize you were trying to be helpful up above, but posting bogus info isn't helpful.  It just serves to mislead people and waste their time.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I am sorry for my post then , i noticed it help someone with CS5 thought it'd work the same here.

So no fix for now eh?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

A look at the executables in the Photoshop installation area reveals they were updated in mid-March, so virtually none of the problems reported during the public beta are going to have been fixed.

ah, thanks...but dang.

looks like i'll hop on at 6.1 then

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 8, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to iwouldntknow

I'm guessing they'll be fixed in a 13.0.1 update.  That will likely still be Photoshop CS6.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks! and sorry again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to mantralightroom

im having same problem..

mouse feels slow compared to cs5 and only when graphic processor is on, all settings same.

and i just noticed when opening the liquify, then the mouse is laggy and slow but when holding down the button to liquify the later its smooth and normalt,

whats wrong there O.o?.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,456 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to metallicfist

If it's actually faster when the GPU is disabled, then you definitely have some kind of unexpected display driver issue.

Does everyone with this issue have nVidia?  Perhaps it would be good to start listing video card model and driver version in posts in this thread.

I can confirm it's NOT happening with ATI Radeon HD 5670 and Catalyst 12.2 driver package.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel:

Just ran the same test as you using the Standard Brush and I am seeing zero lag with the same size test image you used. I am using an i7 machine, 16GB RAM with the Intel Graphics P4000 card with the latest drivers with GPU enabled. Using the Blur tool I do see a noticeable lag using the Smudge and Blur tools. With the Blur tool far being the worst offender

Not sure if this helps, but another data point

MK

Update: with a 900 px blur setting, it actually caused Pshop to go into a non-responsive state and had to force a close (first for me on CS6) but when I opened CS6, the test image recovered, whooo, so proved that auto recovery works

Funny thing is although Photoshop hung, it was nowhere maxed out on any resources, normal memory utilization, CPU's averaging 21%

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

my specs:

Motherboard: Asrock Fatality P67 Performance

Cpu: Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz

Graphic Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 OC

Ram: 6.0GB

Hard Drives: 60gb intel 520 SSD - system and photoshop here

977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 ATA Device (IDE)

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

Noel Carboni wrote:

Does everyone with this issue have nVidia? 

Yes

i have the newest updated drivers (296.10) for my Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX and everything else updateable.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points