Skip navigation
hillary_knox
Currently Being Moderated

"roundtripping" FCP7>AE>FCP7 - rendering 1 frame difference

May 3, 2012 3:44 PM

Trying to do something theoretically super-simple: take a series of shots from an FCP 7 timeline into AE, do noise reduction, render out individual shots, replace original shots in FCP with noise reduction'ed version. Simple, right?

The problem I'm having is that when I bring the NR'd clips back into FCP, things are one frame off - in different directions, depending upon different settings. I can slip/nudge things by 1 frame in FCP to make it 90% work, but then there aren't any handles to cover the slip. Yes, having clips with handles would solve the problem, but I don't happen to have that in this case.

Video files originated on a Canon DSLR 23.976 fps, transcoded to ProRes same frame rate, cut in FCP7 in a 23.98 sequence, sent to Resolve for grading & render, back to FCP for re-assembly. When I bring the graded files into AE, it seems to believe that the frame rate is 23.975. I've tried all combinations of things, from fully Automatic Duck, to pump-action Duck (i.e. creating a comp at various frame rates, 23.976, 23.98; interpreting the "23.975" footage to both frame rates), but nothing seems to be working quite right. Everything is always off by 1 frame in some direction or the other.

This is like the simplest possible thing, and I can't believe that I have to ask about this publicly, but, there you have it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2012 9:06 PM   in reply to hillary_knox

It seems that the underlying problem is that something is giving the wrong frame rate. It should be 23.976, not 23.98 or 23.975. I think that Final Cut Pro actually uses the correct frame rate of 23.976, even though the UI confusingly rounds up to 23.98 in user-visible controls.

Can you check the movies that are coming out of each step of your pipeline and see where the wrong framerate is being introduced?

What are the exact version numbers of all of the software that you're using here?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to hillary_knox

You can conform to a specific frame rate in After Effects.

I admit to not being familiar with Cinema Tools, so I can't immediately say what would match the functionality that you have there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points