Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with ACR 7 support of Canon 5D Mark III

May 5, 2012 10:40 AM

Tags: #importing #acr7 #canon_5d_mark_iii

Just purchased LR4 with ACR7 (upgrade from LR3.6 - not happy about that either, but I am mostly over it) and tried to import photos from my Canon 5D Mark III.  Import feature sees all the .CR2 files but when I try to import them it complains that it does not recognize that file format.  Not happy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to dlaspa

You will need to update to the LR 4.1 release candidate (available on the Adobe Labs website). LR 4.0 was released prior to the availability of the 5D Mk111.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to dlaspa

Unfortunately two important cameras, the Canon 5D.3 and the Nikon D800, came out during the transition between LR3/4 and PS-CS5/6 so Adobe released beta versions of LR and ACR to help tide people over, but what gets released when is kindof messy during the transition.

A major version release requires debugging and testing so the functionality, including new camera support, must be frozen earlier as compared to mid-version camera-support releases that have minimal coding changes.  ACR7-beta functionality was frozen back in February so has even less camera support than ACR6.7 beta, which confused PS-CS6-beta users as well.

Just so you’re aware, there is a bug when doing extreme adjustments in the new toning model and geometric lens-corrections have been applied, so be careful with that in the new LR4.1 RC2.   Eric Chan has said the bug will be fixed in the release version of LR 4.1.  The same bugs exist in the final ACR 6.7 that came out within the last week, so it is unclear what the status of a bugfix is for PS-CS5 users.

Here is a forum post with more information.  Also check out the other threads people refer to with other examples of the bug:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4380573#4380573

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to dlaspa

dlaspa wrote:

One more question; ACR 7.1RC was released today, with support for the 5DE MkIII.  Before I just diving in I have to ask: Do I install LR 4.1 RC2, or stick with LR4.0 and update ACR7.1RC?  I have not had any luck trying to answer this question myself.  Just trying to keep this process clean.

Camera Raw is a plugin for Photoshop.  Lightroom is its own application that just happens to use the same rendering code that the plugin uses.  Updating the Photoshop plugin has nothing to do with Lightroom.  For Lightroom, you have to update the entire application.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:43 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

I downloaded the lr4.1 rc2. And it still won't import or recognize mkiii pics.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:03 AM   in reply to MojoBuff

Are you shooting sRaw or mRaw?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

RAW........... not sRAW not mRaw

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to MojoBuff

You say you downloaded the LR 4.1 rc2. Did you run the install package? In Lightroom menu bar click on Help > About and a dialog box will popup to display what version is running.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to DdeGannes

I did finally get the pics imported by copying them as DNG. And I did see a DNG label on the bottom right pane of Lightroom. IT took me about 6 times to get this done. I downloaded the 4.1 rc2 3 times, restarted my computer twice.....back in an out of all apps (MAC) numerous times and I never saw anything clear as to how this 4.1 rc2 would work or apply itself.

Anyway, I got them in Lightroom and on an external hard drive, but what a pain in the ***!

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to MojoBuff

You don't have to convert them to DNG to get them to work.  They should work directly as CR2 files in RC2.  You keep saying you downloaded it.  Did you install it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 4:50 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

Yes I installed it 2-3 times

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 12:33 AM   in reply to dlaspa

It would be so SO very useful for everyone if this forum had sticky threads. I'll be told I'm off topic, but this question is asked most weeks, and most weeks the same answers are offered up, and it would save the person with the issue having to ask the question and then wait for answers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points