Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Endnote references

May 5, 2012 11:55 AM

I placed a Word document in InDesign (CS 5.5, Windows) which has both footnotes and endnotes. Everything imported ok, but the endnote references in the text are normal position, I'd like them to be superscript. I can't do a Find/Change because there’s no choice for endnote markers in "special characters for search". I can do a search for any digit preceded by a period, but when I change that to superscript the period gets changed also. I imagine there's some way of doing this using GREP, but I wouldn't be able to figure that out on my own. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

Instead of looking for the digit preceded by a period as a string, \.\d, look for it as a positiove look-behind so you are only finding the digit, bu tin order to match it must have the period in front of it, like this: ("<+\.)\d+ (I used \d+ so it would match single and multiple digit markers).

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 12:38 PM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

In the Change to section , write "$0" ,

then on the bottom section there would be a "CHANGE FORMAT" option , click inside the sqaure beneath it and then it would open the character style window ,

Go to "Basic character format" section

change the "Position" to "Superscript"

Note: Do not do find and change all , first test the result on few string and then do it , just to ensure you have full control.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

You don't even need to change to $0, just add your formatting tinthe change format section.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

This is a GREP search query, not a text search. I suspect you are on the wrong tab...

You could change it to (?<=\.)~}? ?\d+ which will find close quote or space, or both, or neither, before the digit(s), but you'll need to run a second search for ~} in superscript to change that back, and a third search for spaces in superscript which you should probably replace with nothing (I thought it would be possibile to eliminate that third one by using (?<=\.)(~}?)( ?)(\d+) and replacing with $1$3, which works if there is a quotation mark with or without a space, but not if there is a space without the quote)

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 3:34 AM   in reply to Clark Kenyon

If it can't find a match there's something you've left out of your description or you've limited the scope of the search in some way (perhaps by adding some formatting attributes to the find query). That string works just fine here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points