Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is it harder to use Lightroom on three computers than to use Photoshop?

May 5, 2012 9:17 AM

Tags: #lightroom #licences

I own three computers: A desktop, a recently acquired laptop, and a still serviceable laptop that I use occasionally.

If I understand things correctly, the license agreement for Photoshop allows me to install it on all three machines, so long as it is activated on no more than two at a time.  Moreover, I believe that Adobe recently changed their policy to remove the limits on activations and deactivations, so if I am taking a laptop somewhere, I just have to be sure that Photoshop is activated on it before I go.

The situation with Lightroom is different, because there is no way to deactivate it once it is installed.  I asked customer service what I should do if I wanted to use it on three machines, and was offered two options: (1) Buy two copies; or (2) Uninstall and reinstall each time I wanted to switch machines.  I haven't tried it, but I do not think that this advice is correct, because I do not think that uninstalling Lightroom actually unregisters it, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Be that as it may, I'm writing this note to say that some other software vendors solve this problem more congenially than Adobe.  Some of them allow their products to be installed on three computers, not just two.  Some of them will sell you a third license at half price.  Others will give you a third license for the asking if you have a reasonable explanation.  Still others will say "Actually, we'll let you install on any number of computers as long as you use it only on one at a time."

Is anyone at Adobe reading this who might be willing to press for a more reasonable policy for Lightroom?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to ark@acm.org

With Lightroom, you are allowed to install on 2 machines and only run on one of them at a time. That's the legal situation.

On the other hand, your copies are never registered on the machines they are running on. No activation; no de-activation. So it's entirely possible for you to have Lightroom installed and runnable on all three of your machines. It's an honour system. You get to decide where your honour lies.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to ark@acm.org

Is anyone at Adobe reading this who might be willing to press for a more reasonable policy for Lightroom?

So you want someone at Adobe to press for a way for Adobe to make less money? Ha ...

By the way, there is no registration for LR like there is for Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to ark@acm.org

Considering Lightroom can be uninstalled and reinstalled in about the same time as it takes to activate and deactivate, I don't see it is an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to ark@acm.org

Your catalog, presets, previews remain intact during an uninstall. Don't see why that would happen.

BTW, if you want to reach Adobe with your concern, this is a User-User forum. The correct place is here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_fami ly_photoshop_lightroom

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 12:19 AM   in reply to ark@acm.org

As far as I remember, Adobe also does not allow you to use more than two installations of PhotoShop either -- one on a desktop and one on a laptop. So there really is no difference between PS and LR license, except that LR installations are not verified during installation. So theoritically, you could install LR on numerous machines. I would not advocate this, but it is the one control of LR that Adobe has not put in place.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points