Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects Spec Question

May 4, 2012 9:20 PM

With the new subscription program on deck I am looking at getting back into After Effects for some internet video work that I do.

I am putting together some super simple promos that integrate live video with Camtasia screen captures. Once in a blue moon we do some green screen overlays put most times I am using two-three layers max.

I use FCP right now but would much rather use AE for this stuff. I want to work on a PC and the minimum technical specs are relative to what level of difficulty you are doing.

I see the new version is 64 bit and my dual core 2.8 PC machine is 32 bit. I am looking at buying a used quad core machine I wanted advice from some experienced user on whether this will be sufficient to work without a problem.

The stuff I am doing is ultra simple and I am not worried if I have to render to see full quality since most projects are under a minute. Right now I convert everything to ProRes for the Mac but I would much rather use the AVC HD native.

I worked with AE back in the day and I love the program. This new program is a great turn of events for me and I want to make the right decision on a new unit.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to millerjs68

Not all quad cores are created equal.  You should try for a newer Intel i7 model.

Also 8GB of memory is probably a good minimum.  More is always better.

And with the new ray-tracing feature in CS6, you'll want a 500 series nVidia graphics card as well.

Those are some good starting points.  Once you find something with all that, post back more details and you'll get more opinions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I'm quite interested in the subscription setup too.

I have an early i7 Xeon quad core in my machine. ( W3820 2.6Ghz thing - Dell T3500 ) and  a GTX260 graphics card,  6Gb RAM.   A few years old now I suppose.

Its handled the trails of CS5.5 without too much fuss in terms of being able to scrub through AVCHD files, and apply simple effects in Pr .   After effects ran fine as well for me and I was able to mess around with particular effects quite happily.  

I know my machine is far from all the SSD scratch drive, multi drive arrays, mega graphics cards .... but it does handle AVCHD stuff well enough for me.   I plan on a upping the RAM and HDD space, but in terms of my workflows, it suffices.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 10:00 PM   in reply to millerjs68

An i3 isn't going to give you very good performance with AE.  It'll run, just like a mint condition Model T will run.  But you really don't want to be driving one during the Indy 500.

You may want to at least step it up to an i5.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points