Skip navigation
FlashKatt
Currently Being Moderated

Sometimes type won't obey styles!

May 5, 2012 7:50 PM

I'm working with type and creating new styles...sometimes I size the type to what I want and then create a new paragraph style. I assume that new style will "know" the attributes of the selected type...which it does, but as soon as I click "OK" the type goes to some microscopic size not what I had it at.

Starting all over, same problem. Make new style at the size wanted, type will not "obey" its style..in this case a headline style..a big type size.

How can it even be that a selection of type, having a style assigned to it, can not obey the style controlling it?

I've been using ID for quite awhile now...this is baffling. thank you for any clues!

cat

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 8:21 PM   in reply to FlashKatt

In which window do you click "OK" button?

Also when you select the microscopic size text ad check in the paragraph style panel , is it the same paragraph style you have newly created.

My workflow in such situation is to select the text , change the size or whatever ,

Go to the paragraph style panel , and click on the "New paragraph style " button on the bottom right of the panel , which automatically create the new paragraph style with the attribute of the text selected.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to FlashKatt

Is it happening in the new document as well?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 9:07 PM   in reply to FlashKatt

If character style and paragraph style both are appiled on the text then character style will have the lead , that means it override the paragraph style settings.

That's why I asked is it happen in the new document as well , to know the issue is application specific or document specfic.

You can select the text , go to character style panel , choose "None" and then check , creating the new paragraph style .

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 3:41 AM   in reply to FlashKatt

If you had a character style selected with no active type selection, that character style became the default for all new type you enter. This is a common error, though mostly with new users. You can remove the default by selecting the [None] character style, but that won't affect already-set type. you'll have to fix that manually.

Other possibilities that come to mind are a nested style you forgot about in your paragraph style definition, and scaled text frames when the preference is set to "adjust scale percentages."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points