Skip navigation
quailmandingo
Currently Being Moderated

How do you vertically center horizontal transparent text?

May 6, 2012 1:31 AM

Hey guys and gals, I'm trying to work with some transparent text stuff and I can't seem to center it vertically. I have no problem doing it with regular text but using the Horizontal Type Mask Tool it doesn't seem to allow me to do it. Any help with this is much appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to quailmandingo

I guess it depends on whether you trying to center the text while it's still a selection or after you filled/stroked and rendered the text to a new blank layer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to quailmandingo

Why do you use the Type Mask Tool?

Might a Type Layer as the basis of a Clipping Mask Group not also work?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to quailmandingo

I'm with Christoph: create a regular text layer, CTRL(PC)/CMD(Mac)+click its thumbnail in the layers panel, and you have a selection. Hide the text layer, it is available for quick editing if needed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to quailmandingo

In your case as already suggested using the regular type tool is the best but your question can be generalized by asking how to center a selection. In that case you can fill it with foreground or background color (Ctrl + Delete or Alt + Delete). Deselect, center the layer, load its selection as suggested in the previous post or right clicking while using a selection tool, and if not needed delete the layer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points