Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

It is my imagination or is the contrast not working right in V4?

May 5, 2012 1:00 PM

The contrast does not work evenly, or something.  When I try to fix a hazy overcast horizon, the contrast just makes it worse --it appears to only work on the dark areas. Also, the shadows (I assume the renamed fill) appears to work unevenly as well.  To accomplish what I want, before this version all I needed to do was boost the contrast and fill, and mayby tweek the brightness.  Now I cannot get there from here.   WTH?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to George in Seattle

We probably would need to see a before and after example of contrast not working properly to understand your concern and give proper advice. I am not familiar with the letter WTH, perhaps you could explain that as well.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to George in Seattle

George,

The PV2012 controls are image-adaptive.

What that means is their behavior can vary from image to image, and vary even as you adjust the same image (especially when you adjust exposure).

Although this characteristic makes PV2012 more tricky, it also makes it more capable.

Shadows is different than fill.

Fill/brightness are accomplished now using:

+shadows (+blacks may also be necessary)

+exposure (often the missing link when people are in transition)

(-highlights may also be necessary due to +exposure)

And of course consider -contrast if the histogram is shaped like a 2-hump camel back...

Note: In PV2010, exposure is often set for the highlights, and brightness defines the midtone level. In PV2012, exposure defines the midtone level more, and highlights sets the highlights.

In PV2012, exposure setting is key. Usually, if you can't get the contrast & highlight/shadows right, it's because exposure is not right yet.

WTF?

George in Seattle wrote:

The contrast does not work evenly, or something.  When I try to fix a hazy overcast horizon, the contrast just makes it worse --it appears to only work on the dark areas. Also, the shadows (I assume the renamed fill) appears to work unevenly as well.

In this particular case, my hunch is that you need to increase exposure.

Cheers,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to dj_paige

"I am not familiar with the letter WTH, perhaps you could explain that as well."

It's the PC version of WTF.

Cliff

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 8:01 PM   in reply to George in Seattle

If it appears washed out in the shadows, you probably need -blacks.

if it appears washed out in the highlights, you probably need +whites

if it appears washed out in the midtones, you probably need +contrast (-highlights/+shadows to "modulate").

+clarity to give a little histogram-wide anti-washing...

R

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 9:42 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

if it appears washed out in the highlights, you probably need +whites

Washed out in the highlights? I would suggest -whites, not +.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 10:08 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

Washed out in the highlights? I would suggest -whites, not +.

I think it depends on the photo, and on what "washed out" means.

If it's "washed out" due to overbright highlights (and assuming additional -highlights is not desired, nor -exposure), then -whites.

If it's "washed out" meaning "dull looking", then +whites can be just what the doctor ordered (with some -exposure and/or -highlights if need be).

My motto: +whites if possible, -whites if necessary. YMMV...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    May 5, 2012 11:47 PM   in reply to George in Seattle

From my POV, it is all a matter of individual taste. We all see what we see individually. There is no cut and dried formula. If you have a good color managed system, just move the sliders until you see what you are looking for.

From my POV, I often radically move slides extreme right and extreme left and then find a sweet spot. I doesn't matter which slider to me. I just play with them until I find the image I pre-visualized when taking the shot.

There is not right or wrong to any of this. It is just a matter of what you, the individual artist, want to present in your image.

I feel fortunate that my color management is truly nearly spot-on. So generally what I see on my screen is what I get when I print. So when I do processing in the Develop module, it is almost exactly WYSIWYG.

Bear in mind, I worked hard to color manage my system and it did not come overnight. But in the end, color management is critical to process images the way you want to see them in final output -- beit for the internet or for print.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to Rusty Sterling

That's a really pragmatic and "Real World Useful" answer, Rusty.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rusty Sterling
    81 posts
    Feb 21, 2007
    May 6, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Thank you, Keith.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Keith_Reeder wrote:

That's a really pragmatic and "Real World Useful" answer, Rusty.

Lol.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to George in Seattle
    ...It is like trying to hit a moving target.

Some people get by just twisting the sliders around with (what seems to me like) semi-reckless abandon until they get what they want. That's not how I work. I know what I want, and I want to be able to go to the sliders, make the adjustments I need, and have it do what was intended.

*Very* hard to do that sometimes in PV2012, indeed.

So, I sympathize, PV2012 is a bit squirrelly, in my book too.

I'm glad I went through what was for me an arduous learning process, since the results are almost always substantially better. But, I've been where you're at and feel your pain...

FWIW,

Rob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points