So I have installed Lightroom 4 along with an updated plugin for Smugmug....
My question is...everytime I start Lightroom or try to export to jpg etc. the following process starts with this message -- "Processing Updated Publish Criteria for com.smugmug.lightroom.publish" and takes about 2 minutes to complete.
I thought this was related to the Smugmug plugin and contacted the developer...he didn't think this was normal and suggested I post on here...
Anyone have thoughts on this?
The same problem had been bugging me since switching over to LR4. The only way I found to fix it was to delete any of the smugmug publishing services you have set up; that would be the area on the left sidebar where you drag images to be published. Right-click (in windows anyway, I don't know how other platforms work) on the publish service, then click "delete publish service". I had to do that for ALL the smugmug publish services I had set up. Now go back and recreate your publish service(s).
This process will cause your new publish service to be without any references to images on your smugmug site. If that's important to you then you need to tell the plug-in to sync the photos too. To do that, go to the smugmug plugin, check the box "Sync Photos" and click Sync Now. It may take some time to do a complete sync and you may need to verify images manually.
I haven't found any other workaround for the problem, but this does work.
Thanks, sounds like a job for the weekend. Initially when I installed LR4 I had to relocate the publishing plug-in but it did pick up the old catalogue information. Looks like I'll go for the clean start. I wonder if all the reinstal and sync is what caused the Smugmug service to overload and go down last week.
Sorry I don't have a fix or work around but wanted to confirm this behavior as well. I recently installed LR4 onto two of my systems both running Mac OS 10.6.8 and it takes super long at that window. It happens when loading up LR4 and when I'm exporting stuff via the SmugMug plugin.
I had to set up the plugin from scratch so I don't see how deleting it and re-setting it up would help...
Hope we can find a solution soon!