Skip navigation
harmonyJJ
Currently Being Moderated

Single Pages for print coming up with overlapping images from previous page ?

May 6, 2012 5:46 AM

Tags: #exporting_errors #exporting_pdf #indesign_errors

I am new in Indesign. I have finished a 192 Pages magazine in Indesign CS5, when I export in PDF in single pages I get a piece of the previous page always showing on the following pages. This for the entire document. As if they were overlapping. What am I doing wrong ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 5:52 AM   in reply to harmonyJJ

Sounds to me like you've exported including an inside bleed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to harmonyJJ

First, let's talk about inside bleed. Most of the time you don't need itm but there are cases where it may be required. How are you biniding this?

Normally, the inside bleed really is just the edge of the opposite page, and there's no harm if that area is blank or if the objects that need the bleed actually cross the spine. And most RIPS, I think, are capable of ignoring the inside bleed during imposition, so it's not generally a fatal error in any case. Where it get's tricky is if you have a real need for the inside bleed, but the object stops at the spine. In those cases you generally want to split the spread and extend bleeding objects. See InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Breaking Pages Apart to Bleed Off a Spine

Separations are the responsibility of the printer. If they've asked you to provide them, it's time to evaluate whether this is someone you really want to work with. Normal procedeure is to provide a composite PDF in single pages (in otherwords, you just export your layout) and the printer takes care of imposing (arranging the pages on the larger sheet) and separations. If they provide you with an output profile you will want to convert the colors to that profile at export.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to harmonyJJ

When you say quadrichromy, do you mean CMYK, or some other space like LRGB?

I ALWAYS provide crop marks for any file that has bleed, even if I know the RIP will delete them and put in new ones. There can be no question about where to trim if you show it.

And what do you mean by full black? Did you have tints before that you might really have wanted? have you substitued a K-only black for a 4-color "rich black"? What sort of objects have you done this to?

A color space not allowed error means the preflight is set to look for a color space that you don't want, either CMYK, RGB, Lab, Grayscale or Spot. The default profile doesn't look for this, so you must be using a custom profile, and it may not be what you want, so you should click the Preflight panel flyout menu and go to Define Profiules and check it. That aside, 100+ color errors usually indicates that your images are RGB and you've flagged it as not allowed. This is NOT a fatal error as long as you either convert to CMYK during export, or use the PDF/X-4 preset which leaves colors unchanged, embeds their profiles, and the output intent, so the conversion can be done in the RIP by the printer. You should check withthe printer first, though, to make sure thay can handle this.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points