Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bad upscaling on youtube using Flash Player 11.1

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am running Firefox 9.0.1 with the latest Flash Player 11.1 r102. My PC has Windows 7 32bit as the OS and ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 for GPU.

For some reason, the upscaling on youtube videos isn't smooth anymore, everything is pixelated even in 720p videos. In fact, no real upscaling filter is applied, the picture looks like it was stretched with microsoft paint. Older versions worked fine (video was upscaled with VLC-like quality)

Here is a sample:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/badflash.png

Is this related somehow to this bug, or is it a new bug?

PS: I am starting to think that the reason people never update their systems (and particularly their flash), is because they are afraid of breakages like this one...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Kurkosdr wrote:

What causes my computer not to have hardware acceleration with Flash?

Without knowing your driver details (or being an Adobe genius ), I suspect your comment earlier in the thread gives us a clue:

Kurkosdr wrote:

The X1600 has being officially discontinued

I suspect the driver version is just too old. With that said we are making a change in the 11.2 Flash Player release that will relax our internal driver blacklist for hardware acceleration.  Previous versions of the player would aut

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(i decided to re-upload the screenshot to a place that won't resize it, so the problem is more visible)

Here it is:

http://cs.uoi.gr/~cs061221/badflash.png

(notice the bad upscaling on "subscribe!" at the top left, similar bad upscaling happens on the actual video if you look closely)

I also forgot to say that hardware acceleration is obviously enabled (in right click --> settings)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots directly here at the forum, using the camera icon.  I am not going to click on links that lead to a 3rd-party server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

badflash.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2012 Jan 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the first things I would try is to either disable Hardware Acceleration (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337)

or update the device drivers for your display adapter (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765).

The next thing I would try is checking if Flash Player 11.2 beta still has the same problem.  (But I am guessing that 11.2 will possibly be released anyway next week.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

One of the first things I would try is to either disable Hardware Acceleration (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337)

Tried it and unfortunately it didn't had any effect. Enabled it again, still no effect.

or update the device drivers for your display adapter (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765).

The X1600 has being officially discontinued, so the drivers I have now are the latest ones . I don't have a Catalyst Control Center to update from there (the Win7 drivers for X1xxx don't have a Catalyst Control Center), and no downloads are provided for Radeon Mobility X1xxx in AMD's site, and when I click on "update drivers" from Windows' device manager it says that the drivers I have are the latest ones. But I do have proper hardware acceleration, as I do play fairly recent games with effects on, dxdiag reports that I do have DirectX 11, and Flash Player used to work before.

The next thing I would try is checking if Flash Player 11.2 beta still has the same problem.  (But I am guessing that 11.2 will possibly be released anyway next week.)

I ll try it out, but I don't have much hope.

My guess is that Flash Player silently disables hardware acceleration, although the "hardware acceleration" option appears to be on. Is there ANY way to test if hardware acceleration is really on? Please answer.

PS: Can anyone from Adobe tell us what GPUs are supported in the latest versions of Flash player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/921/cpsid_92103.html

Thanks for the answer, but what does "Stage3D" has to do with video playback/video upscaling? I don't think I really need an HD2xxx graphics card or above to view flash video (or any video)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone from Adobe answer whether my Mobility X1600 is supported for (accelerated) video playback? (don't care much about "Stage3D")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know something, Microsoft is right for banning Flash from the Metro interface on Windows 8. Flash is a trainwreck. At any given time, all multimedia software on my computer works fine, except Flash. Version 9 caused video to stutter, version 10 had more crashes than a destruction derby event (even on friends' computers that are 9 months old) and version 11 has this hardware acceleration problem. And none of the programmers at Adobe ever has an answer for anything. Just look at the other forum topics, and how many of them have been answered. What causes my computer not to have hardware acceleration with Flash? None of the geniuses at Adobe knows.

Shareware and FOSS software companies that have programmers work on a part-time/voluntary basis actually make 10x better software than Flash. Adobe, the most mismanaged company on earth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurkosdr wrote:

What causes my computer not to have hardware acceleration with Flash?

Without knowing your driver details (or being an Adobe genius ), I suspect your comment earlier in the thread gives us a clue:

Kurkosdr wrote:

The X1600 has being officially discontinued

I suspect the driver version is just too old. With that said we are making a change in the 11.2 Flash Player release that will relax our internal driver blacklist for hardware acceleration.  Previous versions of the player would automatically disable acceleration if the driver date was older than 1/1/2009  The new version of the player will lower that to 1/1/2008 and we'll continue to improve this in future releases.

We just updated our labs release to Beta 4.  As Pat mentioned earlier, I'd also recommend giving that build a try.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With that said we are making a change in the 11.2 Flash Player release that will relax our internal driver blacklist for hardware acceleration.  Previous versions of the player would automatically disable acceleration if the driver date was older than 1/1/2009  The new version of the player will lower that to 1/1/2008 and we'll continue to improve this in future releases.

See? This is the kind of "geniusness" I am talking about. Why blacklist a driver that has all the features/functions Flash needs, just because it's old? It's not only users with discontinued X1600 cards, it's also users with early RadeonHD cards that don't upgrade their graphics drivers just to get the new version of Flash.

Also, bonus for not graying out the "enable hardware acceleration" option in order to clue the user that acceleration is not available for their system. Until I read the post above saying something about "Stage3D", I thought video acceleration was available for my system and that I had run into a weird bug (i had no clue it was intentionally disabled, because the "enable hardware acceleration" option was available and ticked).

Anyway, thanks for allowing SOME perfectly working graphics cards to have hardware acceleration with Flash, and for answering my question. I clicked on correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kurkosdr,

You are not alone. This happens on some machines with newer Graphics cards. For example on Intel HD graphics with latest available driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines