Skip navigation
srhzaidi
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my expand option in pathfinder remain blocked?

May 6, 2012 4:43 AM

I am selecting two shapes and trying to use expand. The option can't be clicked. Why is it so?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 4:46 AM   in reply to srhzaidi

The selection is not a Compound Shape.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 4:52 AM   in reply to srhzaidi

I assume you are using CS 4 or CS 5 in which case your pathfinder command is automatically expanded unless you apply command while holding down the Option key.

I believe in CS 3 it is the opposite and before CS 3 it was the way6 it is now.

The reason for htis was that everyone complained that they expected the Command to be a finalized command and not a live effect.

So if you wish to make it a compound shape rather than a simple path or group of paths hold the Option Key down when applying the Pathfinder command of your choosing and then you will be able to expand it.

Otherwise you automatically expand the command when applying it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to srhzaidi

(Use the camera icon to include an image - sometimes the crappy forum software won't let you the first time.)

If you are using the pathfinder in CS4 or 5 (or 6 I assume) the default behavior of the pathfinder panel is to expand your pathfinder actions.  With CS3 and previous, it would leave them as compound objects that, in your example, you'd want to expand.

If you want the pleasure of clicking the Expand button, alt(option) click the pathfinder button and it will keep it live. (the old behavior was the opposite and alt/option clicking would expand)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points