I have a question and I am not even sure I am asking in the correct forum, but I hope someone can either answer my question or direct me to right place. For more than a year I have been creating documents in Office Publisher, saving them as a pdf file and then e-mailing the file to several recipients. It has recently come to my attention that the document is now coming to some of them as unreadable. The font comes across as a "smear" of text. I have used the same font for years, Lucida Casual, and this has never been a problem until the last week or so. It appears to only be a problem when the recipient is reading the document on an Apple/Mac. I have tested it on other PCs which I know do not have the used font installed and it still looks fine, but when trying to read it on a Mac laptop or Iphone the text is a blur. As far as I know nothing has changed on my end. I am still using the same computer…PC with Win XP, Office 2007 Publisher, saving the files exactly as I have been for more than a year, but now even pdfs created more than a year ago which contain Lucida Casual are no longer legible on Apple products. I know that I could simply change fonts and maybe get rid of this problem, but I would rather not do that. I have been using Lucida Casual as my “default” font for years and years and I like the bit of flair it has and that I can reduce the size down to as small as 8 and still find it very readable. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this matter! Thanks so much!
I hope someone answers you. I'm having the same issue only it is with scanned in documents. The text is all smudged and you can't make it out. I've never had this happen until today. I printed out gobs of stuff yesterday with no issues at all.
Could you please let me know the following:
1. How are you converting the Publisher docs to PDF? Are you using Adobe Acrobat to do the same or via Microsofts PDF converter?
2. Which application are you using to view the generated PDFs on both Win and MAC? Is it Adobe Reader? If so, please let me know the exact version (Help > About Adobe Reader).
3. Are you certain that the PDF is being rendered correctly on a system without the font i.e. Lucida Casual.
4. Would it be possible for you to share any such PDF with me (I have shared my email id with you as a Private message)
Hi, thanks for your reply and sorry that it took me so long to reply!
1. The documents I am creating are generally in Microsoft Publisher and I use that program to publish the documents as a .pdf. (Same way I have always done it.)
2. Various applications.... for instance on my Iphone, I had saved the document to Dropbox, I can't read it on my phone from within Dropbox or any other app that normally "reads" .pdf files. I also tried e-mailing the document to myself and opening it on my Iphone...still no luck. Another person tried to read it on their Mac desktop, but not sure with what program and still no luck...he was the one who first brought it to my attention.
3. On another PC which I know doesn't have the font installed it looks just fine using Google Docs or Adobe Reader 10.1.3.
My theory about it only being eligible on Apple products is no longer valid however because one of the peole that I sent it to said all was fine until 2 weeks ago and he is a dedicated PC user.
I will e-mail you the .pdf file right away. Thanks so much for your help in this matter.
Apologies for the late reply and thanks a lot for providing the sample PDF.
I tried launching the PDF provided on my end and I was able to view the PDF text properly on my PC with Reader 10.1.3. Also, the same was rendered perfectly on MAC OS X 10.6 and 10.7 using Reader 10.1.3.
Could you please ensure that:
1. You have Reader 10.1.3 installed on your MAC machine and you are using the same to view the PDF (rather than the MAC preview)
2. You have the Lucida font on your PC. You can check the same by navigating to Control Panel > Fonts.
Also, you may get better responses for the Reader app on iOS by posting your query regarding the same at: http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums/ios