Skip navigation
Velvagolden
Currently Being Moderated

LR 4/4.1RC and flickr uploading issues - resolved?

May 6, 2012 6:38 PM

Have the uploading issues between LR 4/4.1RC and flickr been resolved?  Waiting on upgrading from LR3, but the forum reports from unhappy flickr users wanting to "downgrade' are making me nervous.  Should I wait, just upgrade to 4.0 and leave the RC alone for now?  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2012 1:56 AM   in reply to Velvagolden

The problems are fixed in the 4.1RC2.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

I believe that the problems are not fixed in RC2.

Uploading to Flickr is not working for me with LR RC2

Can't update this collection. An internal error has occurred: A semi colon character was expected.

I get this when attempting to publish to Flickr.

This works correctly with RC1 but not with RC2. Downgrading from RC2 to RC1 solves the problem and the Flickr Upload works again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

That's generally the reverse of what many people found.....RC1 broke the Flickr Publish service, and RC2 fixed it.

See this thread: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr_4_1_rc_flickr _publishing_broken

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:39 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

Thank you for this helpful thread (inc Peter for reminding me to be cautious).

I have just upgraded from 4.0 to RC2 and found that my Flickr publishing works as expected without having to install / re-instate or re-authorise a new publish service which potentially worried me – especially if the link between the images in LR and those at Flickr was broken leading to duplicates, loss of comments etc.

Apart from lots of my photos requiring re-publishing due to the point curve bug fix being applied by the scan done on RC2 installation …

All is well … For me.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:53 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

I think that there are two problems here. In LR4 Flickr publishing was broken in that you could not update an existing stream. The workaround was to delete the publish service and create a new one. Then publishing worked correctly ... until RC2 came along that is. If you created a new publish service in LR4 you can't update with RC2. This behaviour has been noted in other forums. E.G. http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cant_update_this _collection_semi_colon_expected

I really don't want to have to delete my Flickr Service and recreate it another time as it really messes up my Flickr account comments, favourites and stats.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

I spoke too soon - and was not cautious enough!

I have successfully republished some of my photo sets (due to the point curve fix) but I am now getting the "Invalid at the top level of the document" errors.

My worst fears ... I'm not sure what is best ... live with it until the real (and hopefully tested release) or roll back to 4.0 from my backup and see what consequences fall out because what is now at Flickr is not strictly in sync with my LR 4.0 database.

Come on Adobe ... sort this out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

@Peter_McC: my point was that the problem that RC1 introduced was fixed in RC2, so the OP should be OK in going to RC2 if he hasn't yet hit a problem in RC1. I didn't know that some of you who developed a workaround for the RC1 problem are now having trouble in RC2. Guess I was one of the fortunate ones who didn't bother with trying a workaround, so everything now works OK in RC2 for me, and it should do for the OP.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Jim Wilde

@jim01403 Thanks. Yes, I understand that now. When Flickr problems were first mentioned I didn't realise that they were restricted to just that one. In actual fact when I first encountered the Flickr issue I understood it not to be a bug but a change in the authentication method which would remain. Having reestablished my flickr stream I am now gutted to see that Adobe are solving the issue by going back to the original authentication method.

I may be wrong in all of this but this is how it appears to me.

Currently RC1 is working for me so I will just wait to see what Adobe does next, before reestablishing my Flickr Photostream for the second time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

An update ...

I have discovered that RC2 publishing does seem to be working (for me) but Flickr or LR seems to be objecting ("Invalid at the top level of the document") to specific images possibly relating to the contents of the caption field.

I narrowed down the failure to just one image ... removed its caption... it published, I put the caption back on - "Invalid ..." error came back.

FYI and not sure if relevant - I sometimes put http links in my caption fields.

I would have come back with a more comprehensive test, but it now appears that LR will not communicate with Flickr at all, now saying it cannot contact the Flickr service, so I cannot investigate further yet.

I know a little off the wall here ... but is it conceivable that Flickr itself has locked me out due to "erroneous" or suspicious content?     I have never had problems with LR talking to Flickr before today and publishing to SmugMug is still working fine.  

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

This is getting more and more weird.

I can no longer publish to Flickr now as I am getting the following message:

Capture.JPG

I have not made any changes to LR4 RC1 but I did (1) remove an old version of LR 3.6 and (2) I installed the released version of Photoshop CS6.

I will try two things. (1) remove the caption information as it seems that can cause problems and (2) if that fails I'll reinstall LR4 RC1.

I wonder if something has changes at the Flickr end??

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

Just curious Peter ... are you finding this message specific to only one of your collections... ie if you republish a photo in another collection does it strangely work?

Also I am becomming more convinced about the document error relating to Http links or other complexities in the caption.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

@AlanUniqueName

Well, I deleted the caption, which was just plain text, except for the fact that it had a return in it, and the publish worked fine. Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Captions. I will try the caption again without the return and see if it works.

It would appear that the error message has nothing to do with the actual problem!

Thanks.

btw. if you want to see my photostream, look here ... www.flickr.com/prmcc

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

OK. I can confirm that the return (produced by Shift-Return) in the caption was the culprit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

Yes, I confirm , carriage return in caption kill LR4RC Flick Export.

Stéphane

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

Peter ...

Just thought I'd add that I'm no expert here, and it could be multiple problems and or some Flickr service issues at their end.

The error messages are definitely not helpful though.

I'm still investigating and will report anything else I find... but I'm glad you've had some sucess.

Nice shots by the way ... I'll have a better browse later.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

I just installed the new 4.1 release yesterday.  I had previously installed 4.1 RC 1, which broke my existing Flickr setup and recreating it resolved that issue.  I never installed RC 2.  I just tried to publish to Flickr with the final 4.1 release and I am now getting an error "a semi colon character was expected".  The old Flickr setup still does not work at all.  Has anybody had the same issue and worked around it?  I am finding nothing thus far poking around looking for an answer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 6:12 PM   in reply to Frankie Lee

Go edit your Flickr publish service and try click on the Remove Authorization button and then try Authorize again with your Flickr login credential. See if it solves the problem for you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Frankie Lee

I have apparently resolved the issue by going to the original Flickr setup I had, which I never deleted and did a reauthorize and now that setup is working again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 6:36 PM   in reply to simonsaith

Simon

Since you are monitoring this thread to an extent, can you say if re-authorising might solve the problems with carriage returns in the caption fields that has been reported by several users and raised as a problem by me?

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_1_rc 2_a_cr_or_lf_n_the_middle_of_a_caption_causes_failure_to_connect_to_f l ickr

Is this an acknowledged problem (at least on a windows machine) and is being worked on?

Many thanks for any advice.

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 11:39 PM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

My experience is that it has not solved the carriage return problem. I am running 4.1 and got the flickr publish to work again by reauthorising my RC1 Flickr service. It still doesn't like carriage returns and furthermore it appears that multiple spaces in the caption also cause the same error.

I haven't done much testing with this but I had to eliminate some instances of multiple spaces to get the publish to complete.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to Peter_McC

Thanks for the info Peter,   and I was not aware of the multiple space issue.

Also note that from other feedback I suspect this is not an issue on the Mac.

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 9:08 AM   in reply to simonsaith

I don't see the option to Remove Authorization in Lightroom 3.6. I added another Flickr publishing service and authorized it, same issue with "could not connect". I tried uploading a set of 8 pix, no metadata whatever.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points