Skip navigation
Adrtghhjj
Currently Being Moderated

Replace Color question

May 6, 2012 10:10 PM

I have an image taken from off the Net that I need to edit and change some colors.

In the Replace Color dialog I can select the "source color"  but I can't specify the "destination color" except by dragging the Hue slider.

I'd like to be able to specify the "destination color" I want in more detail, like selecting it from a pallette, inputting RGB/HSB values etc.

How could I do that?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 10:18 PM   in reply to Adrtghhjj

What version of photoshop?

In newer versions of photoshop clicking the Result color chip brings up the color picker.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 11:36 PM   in reply to Adrtghhjj

One way would be to make the selection with Select>Color Range, then use a color fill adjustment layer with the layer blend mode set to color, overlay or softlight.

You can change the color of the color fill layer by double clicking on the fill layer icon in the layers palette.

color-1.png

A more advanced method that might get you closer to the actual color you want is to use a layer set with the selection mask,

add a levels layer to adjust the tone, a hue/saturation layer set to -100 saturation and a color fill layer set to color blend mode.

color-2.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to Adrtghhjj

Maybe posting an example image would help determine the best way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Adrtghhjj

Choose Image > Image Adjustments > Hue/Saturation or press Ctrl + U keys. Drag the Hue slider to -150, Saturation slider to +2 and Lightness to -4.

If you want to limit the color correction only to the blue gradient, first select the the pointing hand (On Image Adjustment tool) at the bottom of the Hue/Saturation window and click with it once on the blue gradient.

If you want to sample the values from the green gradient to help you choose the values in the Hue/Saturation sliders, first open the Info panel and change its readout to HSB color, then after opening the Hue/Saturation window and clicking with the On Image Adjustment tool to limit the color range for the correction, disable the On Image Adjustment tool by clicking on its button again. Then move the mouse cursor over the the left edge of the green gradient on the image, and check the values in the Info panel. Then change the values in the Hue/Saturation window and also keep the mouse cursor on the left edge of the blue gradient on the image until the hue value of the blue gradient in the Info panel matches the hue value of the green gradient. Then repeat the same for the Lightness and Saturation.

I don't know if this is possible on Macs but on Windows any input box in the programs has virtual slider capability by clicking in the input box and using the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard. You can take advantage of this when using the Hue/Saturation window and sampling colors from the image by keeping your mouse cursor stationary on the image to sample values as reflected in the Info panel while using the up and down arrows of the keyboard to change the values of the Hue/Saturation sliders.

For more details about using the Hue/Saturation controls read the manual: http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/photoshop/using/adjusting-image -color-tone.html#adjust_hue_and_saturation

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points