Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Basic questions about scanned image to AI vector

May 5, 2012 8:54 AM

A friend is an artist who does designs for clothing.  He's just started and was asking about the process to get the image to the company that will actually produce the garments.

I've read from their site the basics.  They accept 300dpi raster (at final product image size) or vector (referring to Illustrator and Draw as the two biggies in the software world).  They express a preference for vector, which I assume gives them greater image manipulation latitude.

I've never used AI to create vector from a scanned image.  Can it do it?  What are the limits?

Any good tutorials on this step in the process out there?

Thanks

Tom

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to TCarp

TCarp,

For a task like clothing design the obvious choice is to redraw, using the Pen Tool.

It is possible to use Live Trace, but nothing is really gained by that as compared to leaving it as raster (unless supplemented with so much cleanup that the Pen Tool would probably be easier as well as better).

Why change it when the company accepts raster artwork?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to TCarp

What are the limits?

Misunderstanding about the assumed "automagic" of autotracing is one of the most commonly-repeated discussion topics in this forum. Do a search for "autotrace".

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to TCarp

Tom,

Your friend may be happier with the present workflow.

But it is possible to make drawings more or less the same way in vector with a stylus on a tablet, such as a Wacom Intuous; drawing with the Pen Tool is completely different, as are creating shapes with the shape Tools and using live Type and other ways of creating more or less predetermined shapes.

You and he may have a look at the different options and choose the least worst.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 6:54 AM   in reply to TCarp

Tom,

the leap from paper to mouse

Actually, it is a leap from pen to stylus, from paper to screen (you draw on the tablet while looking at the screen, if you look at the tablet it is like using invisible ink). And it is possible to use the stylus instead of the mouse.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to TCarp

Tom,

I've been doing this since the Mac Plus. You don't need a stylus to manually trace a raster image in a vector drawing program. I very seldom ever use a stylus--and even then only in raster imaging programs--because I simply prefer any decent optical mouse. Tracing your sketches is about drawing paths. It's not about the pointing device; it's about developing an understanding of and acquaintance with the interface of drawing Bezier curves.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to TCarp

For my part you are welcome, Tom.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to TCarp

If you can wait a short while you will be amazed at the new Image Trace feature in Illustrator CS 6 or better yet since the C^ download is live and full operational download it and try it out.

There may still be reasons to use the pentool for this purpose but the need for that has been great diminished

Traced_Image.jpg

Easy to recolor

Screen Shot 2012-05-07 at 5.58.52 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points