Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"The project cannot be opened. It appears t be damaged."

May 6, 2012 2:15 PM

Tags: #premire_elements_9

I had just completed a 1 hr. 18min. project and saved it. I opened "share"  and clicked on thr Disc button to create a DVD. I had not yet chosen DVD when I got a message that an error had been committed and Windows would shut down. I did not have time to read the entire message before the computer shut down and turned off. I restarted the computer and opened PREL 9.0 and attempted to open my project. I was advised that the project could not be opened. That It appeared to be damaged. I was able to open other completed projects.

What to do? What to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to hankholmes15@comcast.net

Do you have autosave on?

Are you able to open an older autosave project?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to hankholmes15@comcast.net

I would definitely explore the AutoSave folder, and files for that Project. Remember, AutoSaves are FIFO, so the highest number of AutoSave might not be the latest version. On Windows, change View to Details, and check the Date/Time of the files.

For a BSOD/system reboot, I would also see this ARTICLE for tips on solving that issue, as it is a major one.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 11:01 PM   in reply to hankholmes15@comcast.net

Hi

The folder where your project file is located(which is by default the Documents folder) will also have a subfolder named Adobe Premiere Elements Auto-Save.

Open this folder, you will see 5 latest copies of your auto-saved project, then as told by Bill, open the latest version.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to hankholmes15@comcast.net

A BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) is when the computer stops functioning, and depending on how its set up, one of two things happens:

• A blue screen with a lot of code is displayed, until one does a reboot, possibly a hard reboot will be needed
    • Or, that blue screen is displayed, but very, very briefly, and then the computer reboots itself. When Windows comes up, it may, or may not display a dialog screen, stating that a serious error has occurred.

Usually, a BSOD is triggered by hardware problems, but can also be triggered by a system driver conflict.

The AutoSave is a function of PrE, and by default is invoked at five minute intervals, to create five AutoSave versions of the PREL (the Project) file. The settings to control AutoSave are accessed via Edit>Preferences. The AutoSave files are FIFO (First In - First Out), and when all five have been created, then on the next AutoSave run, the first will be overwritten, but the name stays the same. This is repeated over and over, with the five AutoSave files being overwritten over time. That I why one must check the Date/Time of the five files, to see which one is the latest, with the most edit details in it. As John points out, the AutoSave folder, with the files, will be located under the root folder for the Project (where you located your Project at New Project).

Good luck, and hope that all works out well,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to hankholmes15@comcast.net

The AutoSave files are .PREL (if you have Show File Extensions turned ON), so all you need to do is from the Welcome screen, navigate to the AutoSave folder for that Project, and select to Open the latest AutoSave Project's PREL. If that one does not Open either, try the next latest, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to hankholmes15@comcast.net

What can happen, that will cause a BSOD is that a program will stress some component(s) in the computer, that are not normally stressed. PrE stresses a computer more that almost all other programs, with the possible exceptions of CAD, heavy 3D animation and extreme gaming. The computer will run just fine, when doing word processing, e-mail, and Web browsing. Then, when one performs a stressful operation in a program, like PrE, such as Rendering, or Sharing/Exporting, a weak component will fail.

Often, this is caused by heat buildup, that does not happen with general computing, or perhaps a RAM chip near the upper end, going bad, but as it is not often accessed with general computing, its weakness shows. Same for an operation that uses a lot of the hardware - if a PSU (Power Supply Unit) is under-speced, or going bad, its problems will go unnoticed, until one is using all of the hardware.

If the BSOD is caused by a system driver, it could be that it is one that gets called, when certain operations are invoked. The computer might run just fine, until that driver is put to use, and then BAM, it causes the OS to crash. This one is usually fairly easy to discover, though the info might be limited, so one might have to do other research to pinpoint and correct it. The Event Viewer should have error and warning messages from about the time of the crash. It is likely that many will be useless code, that not even a MicroSoft engineer can make heads, or tails of, but often there will be links in those messages, and they should be followed. A bad system driver will often show up in one of those links - but as with too many error messages, it might be tough to track down the exact driver. I once had one of the Maxtor One-Touch drivers messing up, and it took several days of monitoring, and searching, before I could find out exactly which one it was. As I never used any of my Maxtor external HDD's w/ the One-Touch feature, it was a simple task to just remove that driver.

I hope that one of your AutoSaves will get you back to a point, close to where you were.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This might also be a good time to discuss PREL files, and also Saving a Project. This ARTICLE goes into detail.

When editing a Project, I use the AutoSave, the standard Save, and also the Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy. Those latter two are similar, but with one big difference: Save_As will create the Project folder structure for the new, renamed Project (I usually just increment the Project's name by 01), and it will keep that new Project Open in the program. Save_As_a_Copy will do the same, BUT will NOT keep the new Project Open - one will still be editing the original Project.

As I complete major edits, I use Save_As, to make sure that I have the original Project untouched, plus also have the AutoSaves for my Save_As Project too. When I am nearing the end of the edit, I might use Save_As_a_Copy, to give myself a separate backup to the Project.

I like to have those backups, so that if I do loose something, it is not from THAT long ago.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to hankholmes15@comcast.net

Hank,

That is great news. Though I have not had to use them very often, over the years, the AutoSaves (and my Save_As files) have, well "saved" me on a few occassions.

Glad that you are now back to editing, and good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points