Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Black frames appearing in render

May 8, 2012 3:40 AM

Fairly urgent. I've got an After Effects project I've been working on for a couple months now, and this week is the crunch to export it finally. The project is a grid of several videos, mostly 1080p, and so it takes about 6 hours to render out. I've exported several versions of it with no problems, as both uncompressed AVI and highest res WMV.

However, as of last night, it was rendering out with random videos in the grid flashing black frames. I've not changed anything about export settings, have restarted my computer and tried, but no luck. Baffled. Any suggestions? Deadline is looming.

Quadcore, 2.20GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 64-bit, CS5.5

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to mrmxyz

Flush the Media Cache and try again. If that doesn't help, then think hard about what graphics card driver updates or configuration changes you may have done, whether or not you have updated Quicktime or Windows Media Player recently or if you generally have installed CoDecs or otehr stuff that may make things go boom. Undo those changtes then.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to mrmxyz

Render problems are based on disk/file issues or codec issues or both. A disk or file issue always occurs in the exact same place each render. Bad media or bad access to the file. Disk/file issues are not random between renders. Codec and input processing errors can be random but they always play the same way.

However, some issues that appear to be render problems are actually playback problems. A glitch will appear in different places when playing back.

Since you seem to be getting good renders if you turn off some layers, you've either got some bad layers or some faulty effects on those layers of you've lost the connection to those layers' source video files.

It's a tedious binary search.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points