• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links doesn't open

May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have prepared e-learning course in Cp 5.5. In some computers there is a problem with open external links. It is caused by Flash Player settings. When I go into Global Security Settings panel and add local folder with course files everthing is right. Can I ommit this security settings from course?

Thanks,

Marek

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only an issue if you are trying to serve your content from an internal networked LAN drive.

If you serve your content from a web server, Flash Global Security is not an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply.

The problem is also occure when the content is serve on localhost. Do you think the problem could be when computer works on domain (not in workgroup)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying you have set up a webserver on your PC to test the content via HTTP://Localhost/ and Flash Global Security is still preventing it from working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, no, I test course on my PC without webserver (I opened htm file in my browser) and everything is all right. But on my client's computer links don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  That's what I thought.

What I have to tell you is that if you are trying to run Captivate content on your hard drive or a LAN drive or a USB drive or a CD ROM drive using a web browser, then you MUST have Flash Global Security set up to trust that location, otherwise links to other URLs or files will NOT work.

If you are trying to deliver content that will call URLs, you MUST find a way to serve that content from a web server.  Your clients and end users are definitely NOT going to like being told that they have to mess with Flash Global Security to get your content to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for advice!

I checked that this issue is general for all swf files (independently of authoring tools). Do you know any by-pass?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way around it that I know of.  Use a web server is your best option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I consider about using JavaScript to open URL.

To clickbox I assign function in JavaScript (e.g. openUrl('http://some.html'); ). After publish I added in htm file declaration of using script and to folder I add openurl.js with function definition:

function openUrl(url){

window.open(url);

}

But the result is the some. In my computer it works in another click do nothing...  What do you think about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Rod already said:  If you're running this from a network hard drive or a local hard drive and not a web server, Flash security will prevent the swf file from executing any type of code including links.  Your best option is to host the swf on a web server.  You can host it on dropbox.com which is free.  Flash will automatically trust the location once it's running from a web server.

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What do we think about this?

We think that you are basically reinventing the wheel. Captivate Click Boxes and Buttons already allow you to open a URL. Using JavaScript is ignoring that functionality and creating your own. Actually causing you more work in the end.

I sense that you likely feel that by using JavaScript you feel you are being clever and somehow bypassing or escaping the Flash behavior. The problem here is that even if you use JavaScript, you are STILL bound by the confines of the Flash Player security settings because it's coming from the Flash Player. So while I applaud your thinking outside the box, it still isn't going to help you overcome this limitation. Sorry.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for all sugestions.

In my case only solutions is delivering step by step instructions how to configure Flash Player Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

I'm not sure how well it may or may not work here, but I do see mention of something known as a "trust file" that you might be able to use in order to overcome this.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried this myself, but http://www.server2go-web.de/ is a web server that's portable and can be used on a CD or DVD, USB stick or any hard drive folder.  They have a free trial.  This may get around the security setting by tricking flash that you're running content from a web server.

Jim Leichliter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried server2Go and it's a good solution if you are distributing CD ROMs or USB sticks, but it doesn't work out quite so well when you want to run something from a LAN drive on a corporate server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod.  Good to know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it occured to me that perhaps my last post was not complete enough.  I didn't explain WHY server2Go doesn't work out as a good solution in a corporate LAN environment.

The reason is that server2Go requires the course participant to launch the server2Go application to fire up this standalone web server so that it can deliver the content.  However, this means they need to execute an EXE file on the network.  Most of the time this is NOT going to fly with the corporate IT department because their internal antivirus software will kill EXE files or prevent them from working.

In a CD ROM or USB delivered course situation, the user has more permissions.  You can launch and EXE file from a CD ROM using the Autorun files.  Similar with a USB.  You can just tell the user to double click a file that will start server2Go and then have the index.htm file either be the opening page of the course or else redirect to it.

So while server2Go is a great little tool for some situations, it doesn't cover every need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... that would not fly in our corporate environment.  Thanks for the explanation Rod!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources