• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

About the Forums Redesign

Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2012 May 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone who participated in our Forum reskin private beta. We received a lot of very helpful feedback that went a long way in helping us really understand what is most valuable and important to all of our members.

The Adobe Forums have not had a major design update since we originally launched on the Jive platform back in 2009.  However, with the launch of Adobe Creative Suite 6 and the Adobe Creative Cloud, we expect that the Adobe Forums will become an even more essential resource for the entire Adobe community.

In fact, one of the major design goals was to create a more integrated user experience between the Creative Cloud, Adobe.com, and the Forums. Some of the major changes include:

• Dramatically simplified global navigation
  • More consistent sign-in/sign-out experience
  • Common UI elements and interface conventions, including shared fonts (Adobe Clean served via TypeKit) and color palettes. In fact, both the Creative Cloud and Adobe Forums now use a dark-grey right-hand navigation panel where all of the tools/actions are aligned (just like in our desktop apps).  
  • Streamlined interface, pared clean of cluttered icons and redundant options — so you can really focus on the content that you care most about.
  • And finally, an optimized layout designed to cultivate the true heart and soul of the Forums experience:  community Q&A.

This last goal, in particular, is the most exciting for all of us on the Adobe team – we understand that in a true community of experts, help is not a document. It’s a conversation. That conversation starts here – in this forum with this community.  And the whole team here at Adobe, from design to engineering, honors that simple idea and we hope to share more exciting news with you over the coming months as we explore fresh ways to create connections, conversations, and content.

And yes, we know -- the new theme is still not 100% perfect so please continue to report bugs in the Known Issues thread. The team is listening and we will be responding quickly with new patches and bug fixes on a regular basis. In the meanwhile, we look forward to many, many great conversations to come!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• And finally, an optimized layout designed

Man, you really missed the mark on that one.  This new layout is confusing and ugly.  It makes reading the posts more difficult, finding my posts in a thread more difficult, and just overall a less pleasant reading/posting experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim,

I agree completely, though others will never know that I am replying to you.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt wrote:

Jim,

I agree completely, though others will never know that I am replying to you.

Hunt

I agree, I like to see who i am replying to.

Otherwise people are going to quote all the time. That makes it clutter all up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

For the previous "update," I was involved in the beta. Maybe my being in the UK for a couple of weeks negated my contributions to this update. Sorry that I missed it, as I would have had volumes of contributions, and pleased to either make changes, or to not do some things.

I have lived through many changes to the Adobe forums, going back to the NNTP days, and this might be the worst, that I have experienced.

As things seem to be changing by the hour, after the ~ 2 hour shutdown, I will reserve my final comments, but each hour seems to make thing worse.

After a decade (actually longer) of work in the Adobe forums, this is a bad move, at least IMHO.

I wish you luck, and do appreciate what you are trying to do, but think that both of your hands might be tied behind your back.

Hun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you see "changing by the hour." There have been no updates to the forum since the initial launch around noon pacific time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to be helpful and not just complain, there's three specific things I don't like about the new skin.

First, there's no 'box' around the original post.   It just hangs out there with the rest of the background.  I don't like that.  Every post should have some sort of 'box' within which it appears.

Second, the original post used to be in blue, very distinguishable from the replies.  Subsequent posts from that OP were also in blue, again to distinguish it.  Others' posts appeared with a white background, and my own appeared with a gray background.  Now, everyone's post has the same plain grey background.  That makes it more difficult to go back and look over what I've previously written, and more difficult to cull out posts from the OP in a thread.  Changes should make things better, not worse.  This current scheme is worse.

Third, most folks are right handed, and will move the mouse cursor off to the right when reading a thread.  The Reply and other buttons should go back to being right justified, not left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

"the new theme is still not 100% perfect" and so I deliberately waited with my answer a little bit. In addition to this my previous speakers have mentioned, I'll show you the graphical representation on MY computer:

1. A rather insignificant navigation:

drNeu01.jpg

2. Presentation is unclean working here:

drNeu02.jpg

3. Problems with the character sets:

drNeu03.jpg

4. Confusing and a waste of space:

drNeu04.jpg

5. The font size or the screen display in my opinion are made too small and therefore difficult to read.

6. Not so important, but I like it and I miss them: Where are the "points"? (correct answers helpful answers)

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Points are still collected when someone votes your content as correct or helpful. Only the display of points is temporarily missing.

hans-g. wrote:

6. Not so important, but I like it and I miss them: Where are the "points"? (correct answers helpful answers)

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dave,

thanks for answering, BUT as I said: "Not so important"!

... what's about 1. - 5.? Has the "council" already taken note of these? Are they already known, dicussed, solved aso.?

Sincerely

Hans-Günter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The primary list of known issues is here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4382597

Points 1, 3, 4 and 5 will be resolved by clearing your browser cache, as I can see from the screencaps that you are still seeing elements of the old CSS. Point 2 is on the list of things to fix.

hans-g. wrote:

... what's about 1. - 5.? Has the "council" already taken note of these? Are they already known, dicussed, solved aso.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok in FF, but same problem in my IE8 with japanaese forum.

... and (naturally no offense) as I saw here:

drFehlerD01.jpg

Hans-Günter

P.S.

Thanks for greater caracters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I have to resist. Looking deeper I found this:

First this website looks very corrupted like this:

drFehlerJap01.jpg

After clicking "Druckvorschau anzeigen > show print preview" all is correct!!!

drFehlerJap02.jpg

... and now? Cache is cleared several times already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The View print preview and View as PDF modules don't apply the new skin - they use a generic ink-saving style.

hans-g. wrote:

After clicking "Druckvorschau anzeigen > show print preview" all is correct!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I generally like the new system. But they don't set the .css corectly for width.

Should never ever be hard code to specific size.  Instead maximum width should be no more than 80-85% .

that way there is not to much wasted space and will not seem sparse.

And except for major titles should never be larger than Medium to Normal. Only major titles should be XX-Large.

Here is an example of one page on my wWeb site: http://www.phillipmjones.net/Pet/Boot_the_Cat.html

In it I have centered and the width set to about 60%. It should show up looking the same and take up the same space on the screen, for everyone. I specifically setup for this size for the look and for compatibility with Most Browsers. I tried for: SeaMonkey, FireFox, Camino, Opera, OperaNext, Omniweb, iCab, Chrome,  Safari, Aurora. Looks the same  in all. You are all welcome to look at the source to see how I have setup.

on the other hand  the CSS used for these forums, are set up using specific numbers. Depending up screen size may be perfect for 21, 23, 30 in screen, but some using a laptop with 17", 15, 13" and under the preset size chops off or folds over creating a mess.

were it not for me using NoSquint! I wouldn't be able to read anything. Would be a super big mess. I reduce the Font maganification to 80% then I can the main magnification up 140% without affect font overlap if need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to add a fourth and fifth issue to my list above.

Fourth, there are no post numbers any more.  So we can no longer say, "Did you see the link in post 7?", or "Please answer the questions asked in post 2".

Fifth, the individual questions are spaced farther apart on the page, meaning you get fewer questions on the same sized page.  How's that better?

And we users aren't the only ones who don't like this mess.  This was posted by an Adobe employee. "Please, please, please tell the forum team on the forum that they read. It doesn't help to yell at us (the people who make the video software and who agree with you on this issue)."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim:  thanks for the feedback -- and the specific suggestions above.  The team has been monitoring the reactions, inside and outside of the company, and we will be releasing some enhancements and fixes very soon.

I need to confirm the schedule with the team but, once that's done, I will share our detailed plans and schedule with all of you as soon as I can.

Thanks for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will share our detailed plans and schedule with all of you as soon as I can.

That would be nice.  We lost some good folks when Adobe went to the Jive forums.  I'd hate to see a repeat of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another one for your tally.  Upon first entering a forum, it's abnormal.  All gray, no new post markers.  Not good.

First Entry.png

After entering a thread and going back, it looks normal.  Like this...

Second Entry.png

It should always look like the second entry.  The first is useless and requires the entering of a thread and backing out again to see things normally.  Again, how's that better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Streamlined? Better? The new layout is just plain terrible and poorly designed. When I go the AS3 forum all I see are trending mesages - I used to be able to view all discussions. Really bad design here. Let's hope they don't stay this new way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not complained over the past few years regarding the changes made to the forums - most of what was done didn't really change my experience so I adapted easily. The changes that have been recently introduced are simply terrible as far as visuals/layout go, to the point of being unreadable... especially when you have a posting title that is squished into a ~100 pixels of space...

U1.gif

And the loss of numerous useful features (information-related features) only helps to make whatever is being done seem more and more amateurish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ned:  where are you seeing this?  Can you share the URL? And in what browsers?  This looks like a (serious) bug and we will investigate asap.

And a quick FYI, the team has been following ALL of the feedback here and we will be releasing an update to address the issues very soon. As soon as I have an exact date, I will share with you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like the Discussion page for Action Script 3, but I'm not seeing that hapening for me unless I really compress my browser window down to a very narrow width...

Normal width on a 1280x1024 monitor:

as3-1.png

Narrowed window:

as3-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John C.

Here's another one for you to consider... try your window narrowing on the posting linked below.  It is one of a few I have run into like it...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001983?tstart=0

Here's what I get... (using IE)

U2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Known issue and I'm told it is already fixed for the next forum update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines