Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

5d Mark III support when?

May 8, 2012 12:48 PM

Tags: #mark #noise #cr #5d3 #5diii #7.1

I'm fully aware that this is just a release candidate but that should be close to perfect..
I also fully understand the issue with being first off the line and get the latest camera.

But this is the second release of CR that doesn't support the 5DIII and it's getting pretty anoying
having to use Canon DPP to convert every single picture to TIF just to be able to work with them...
It also takes up a lot of extra space on the hard drive..

It can't come as a surprise to Adobe that Canon was about to release the 5DIII

nor can it have come as a surprise that the RAW format would be different?
Or am I just being naive thinking that the largest photorelated companies in the
world isn't talking to each other??

Check out the comparisons... They're pretty massive flaws in the CR picture on the left..
It just feels strange that Adobe would miss this before they put out even a release candidate.

This isn't isolated to just Camera Raw.. I get the exact same result in DNG converter..
So obviously it doesn't convert the RAW data correctly...

Anyone else experiencing this?

comparison.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to Thyg0d

What are the settings for noise reduction in DPP and ACR?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to Thyg0d

For the most part, Adobe and Canon DON'T communicate.  As far as Canon is concerned Lightroom is just another program that's out there.  Adobe has to wait until the camera is available.  Then they have to acquire one and take the test shots so that they can create their camera profiles.  It's not just you and your new Canon, it's every new model from every camera manufacturer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 1:14 PM   in reply to adriana ohlmeyer

What I see is a CR2 from a 5D.3 that is high ISO, and processed with too much sharpness, too little sharp-masking, and/or too little luminance noise-reduction, perhaps none. 

DPP will use the camera settings for NR because it is a Canon raw processor that understands the camera-embedded settings. 

The Adobe raw processor doesn’t know anything about the camera settings so you have to set things, yourself, and defaults once you settle on a common starting point for your edits.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 1:34 PM   in reply to Thyg0d

Can you post the original raw file, please? If you prefer, you can send it to me on email aohlmeye@adobe.com.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:17 PM   in reply to Thyg0d

Thyg0d wrote:

This picture is shot @ ISO 100 1/1000s F/3.5 and nothing has been added or changed..

Not for nothing but the ACR rendered image looks a lot like the ACR Grain has been applied (it has the same sort of film grain look that the FX panel adjustments can do) and not really like "noise". You might want to check to make sure the grain hasn't been added by mistake...the easiest way would be to reset the ACR "Defaults" back to normal and then make sure the image is set to the normal ACR Defaults. BTW, I've never seen any 100 ISO image look like that through ACR or LR...

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

I downloaded some sample 5D MIII files from Metro DC Photo and I can't reproduce your very grainy/noisy renderings in ACR 7.1.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

The March dpreview preview of the 5D Mark III has several raw images processed thru ACR 6.7, all with no apparent problems.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 8, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to Thyg0d

That would be disappointing to say the least, but I can assure you that the result you're showing isn't happening everywhere.

I just downloaded a raw file from DPReview, converted it through the 7.1RC and found nothing like what you showed above.

Can you screen grab your settings and show them here please?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to Thyg0d

If you open the little menu accessible by clicking on the 3-dots-3-lines icon at the right of the title bar of the tabbed area at the right, for example to the right of the word Basic when you’re on the first tab, at the bottom of that menu there is an item that says something like Reset Camera Raw Defaults.  That will change the defaults back to “factory” settings, erasing anything you may have accidentally enabled.

Another thing would be to upload a copy of your file to www.dropbox.com  and post the public download link to the file, here, so others can try it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Thyg0d

Before you try to nuke the problem by a complete reset you should go thru each of the ACR tabs and note the settings, particularly for fx per Jeff's suggestion (one can create the same effect as you are showing with fx).  It would be better to unerstand what caused the difficulty before wiping it out.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to RASouthworth

Doesn't prove anything, but just curious to see how well I could duplicate the left hand pane by using fx on the right hand side, attached is my best match using fx settings 45-25-50, top to bottom, in ACR 7.1.

Richard Southworth

image_45_25_50.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 9, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Thyg0d

How powerful is your computer?  Is it possible you were expecting it to update instantly, when in fact it took long enough to reinterpret your image and put up the display so as to seem like it took two tries?

5D Mark III files are pretty big, and even with a happenin' computer the previews for these files take a little while to come up.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to Thyg0d

Thyg0d wrote:

Pressed Camera Raw Defaults again and low and behold... The frikkin' image was back to normal...

I'm glad you got it figured out...BTW do you also use Lightroom? I ask because both ACR & LR share the exact same per camera "Default" so if you change it in LR it will also change it in ACR. So if you had used the LR4 beta for example and altered the Defaults it would have also changed the ACR 7.1 Defaults...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,482 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Thyg0d

Overkill?  I don't think there is such a thing with computers.    But yours sounds like a very nice system.

Anyway, it's good that you're now able to use Camera Raw with your files.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points