• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will After effects cs6 work with my GTX 680?

New Here ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a GTX 680, but After Effects doen´t see it. I can´t use the 1500+CUDAS to render!

I saw that the Gtx 570 works, so I think that the GTX 680 would work too!

Is there anything that I could do?

It´s a great graphic card but for software issues I can´t use it!!

There will be an upgrade in after to use it? (hope don´t be in one year on the Cs6.5 realease!!!)

Thank you and regards from La Argentina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Yes, today we added the GTX 680 to the lsit of GPUs that can be used for the GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer.

This requires the After Effects CS6 (11.0.1) update: http://adobe.ly/Li3x61

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is being investigated. For the time being you can do nothing about it, though. You'll just have to wait.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mylenium says, we have to do some extra work for Kepler-class cards like the GTX 680. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Todd, thank you for the answer.

I would like to know how´s Adobe is going to bring the way to make the GTX 680 works with Raytrace 3D. I mean: it´s going to be in the next release (Cs6.5) or Adobe will give some kind of "patch" to enable it?

Besides, I understand that you can´t talnk about times, but I wonder if we are talking about some weeks or some months to be released the compatibility...

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2012 May 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that I didn't say that we certainly would be releasing anything for this card.

We can't make specific promises about future updates or releases.

But you can see this post about an update for Premiere Pro to see how such an update might occur:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/11/adobe-premiere-pro-cs5-5-5-5-2-update-maximus-fun...

That might give you an idea about how such a thing might work in the future.

Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic but I would be kind of shocked if Adobe didn't figure out a way to implement cuda support for the latest and greatest Nvidia cards, considering that Nvidia is their main partner in crime when it comes to the whole Mercury Playback thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Besides ray tracing. Do Kepler cards work fine in AE and Premiere? I'm experiencing ~15fps playback on my I7-3820  in AE with only warp stabilizer... I do have a Radeon card which I want to upgrade but I really don't want to buy an "old" GTX 570 or 580.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than ray-tracing, I haven't found anything that my 670 can't do that my defunct 570 could. Premiere is running smooth as silk, AE is rocking hard, and I've definitely gotten a bit more productive!

So yes, the Kepler cards work fine in both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot speak for the 680, however, I have a 580 and it works great.   If you don't think you need all those CUDAS, drop down to the 580 ( has 1012 CUDAS and 3G of ram).   The 580  did better than the Quadro 4000 card I tried.  Probably cheaper and the 580 is an ADOBE approved card.   Sometimes the latest is not always the greatest until all the bugs are worked out.   I let ADOBE check out the graphic cards first.   If I should ever find I need more graphics power, I will buy an additional 580.   Good luck,

Duane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May want to check out this link (updated for PPRO CS6 and AE CS6: http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

{KMS} wrote:

May want to check out this link (updated for PPRO CS6 and AE CS6: http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

That's an interesting link.  Anyone try his "hack" on page 2 to make the 680 work in AE6?  Maybe I'll brave it this weekend.  I'm still on a fairly fresh build so it wouldn't be a big deal to reinstall Windows if it blows anything up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a GTX460 with CS5.5 for a year now using the technique in the article and the only side effect is that PPRO exports much faster

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, looking at the "Manual" version of the fix, it seems he's just doing the standard change to the graphics cards text file.  I actually did this already and I don't think it affected the 680 in AE.  Have to check on that when I get home this evening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have AE CS6 installed yet.  I was wondering about that.  From the article, it looks like PPRO and AE may share the same txt file...I'm not sure.  I'm really hoping I can get my card to work with AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hack won't work for this purpose.

Don't waste your time.

As I said, we have to do additional engineering work to make the ray-traced 3D renderer work with Kepler-class cards like the GTX 680.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

The hack won't work for this purpose.

Don't waste your time.

As I said, we have to do additional engineering work to make the ray-traced 3D renderer work with Kepler-class cards like the GTX 680.

That's what I thought.  No worries.  We're talking about a video card that has barely been out for a month working with a software package that hasn't been out for a week.  Such is life on the bleeding edge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link above is for Premiere, here is the correct link for After Effects CS6

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/AfterEffects.htm

We put up a page just for After Effect CS6.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, you're not helping people with that. There's a reason that we have a specific set of cards. Cards not on the whitelist may fail, and fail badly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bro,

I remember doing this trick for the GTX 260 and it worked okay but after reading your "Cards not on the whitelist may fail, and fail badly." Im not so sure I would like to take that chance with My 480 dude. Thats a lot of fargin money to just to make artifacting a reality on my monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies Todd for making the post. 

BTW, I was told the same thing a couple of years ago with the cards for Premiere CS5 and I haven't heard of any failures with those cards.

Do you know of what cards failed with After Effects cs6?

I have been playing around with the GT 550 Ti and After Effects CS6 with using the ray traced 3D render engine and have been monitoring the video card temps and even on very long renders, then temps on the card are staying well within specs.  They are about the same as they are in Premiere on long renders.

You can respond in a PM if you prefer.  I would really like to hear back from you on this.

Best Regards

Dave Knarr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> BTW, I was told the same thing a couple of years ago with the cards for Premiere CS5 and I haven't heard of any failures with those cards.

Some succeed. Some don't. The whole point of our testing and certification (up to more than two dozen cards now) is to take the guesswork out.

Normally, I just let these conversations about the "hacks" go, since people are free to try whatever they want (as long as they don't then call our support lines asking for help with the hacked systems). But in this case the "hack" is being suggested on a thread where I've already said very explicitly that the card can't possibly work with After Effects without us doing more engineering work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the big difference between the 470 and the 480 dude? Your saying yourself that the 480 didnt make the cut for? Not being an ass dude just wonderin if you know the exact reason as in the 480's test results. Is there anyway you would have an idea for an ETA of compatibility for the 480?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd,

In the article, I do explain that the "hack" will NOT make the card certified.

Also, I do point out that the GTX680 will NOT work with the "hack".

I also talk about the video card and heating, and I offer a few suggestions on keeping the video card cool so they don't fail.

I will add to the article today, that they should not call the support line asking for help on a hack system.

BTW, in my orginal post I was only posting the correct URL for the article on After Effects, since the link that was first posted was for Premiere.

Best Regards

Dave Knarr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I would say that is purty dang fair (I do explain that the "hack" will NOT make the card certified. (____Also, I do point out that the GTX680 will NOT work with the "hack"______) At least "you" say that dude. "Hey you can use this "hack" dudes but make sure you read the fine print. Which its in bold but ya get my meaning, rite on?

Dave Bro, I think, personally this is my opinion that "you" sir, are a kind and generous dude, dude! And that I will look to You as well as Adobe MFG. for opinionated values and points like as in Guru3D. Thats how I roll.

If you ( or Your "Boss" in my case) pay money for an upgrade to something that you have already paid for from the start 😉 -----> and it works fine with all the "components" you have prior to the upgrade, the mfger..... should have most of those bugs out in a BETA release (notice = I said "most" right there dudes). I see that a lot where games are released before "we will sell no whine, before its time" kinda thing. The GTX 680 thing I can definately understand, its an unfamiliar architecture. And also to boot, i have to give Adobe a thumbs up cause they had a fix for the 480 shortly after it was released, im just an impatient dude. But in all seriousnees y'all have a worldly population working at "Adobe" dudes. For real and shtuff  😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in - I hope the new engineering proceeds quickly. As I was waiting for my CS6 upgrade to go through yesterday, my 570 died a horrible, red-sparklies-all-over-the-screen death. Naturally, I get CS6 after I have to replace it with the 8600 GT backup card.

So I got a GTX 670 next-day-aired to me ("Hey, cool! There's a new version of my card! Faster! Cooler! Quieter! Less power consumption!"). Had no idea that I bought it the day it came out! And lo and behold... I can't use this monster of a card with the awesome new CS6 3D features. No biggie, since I made do without them perfectly fine before with CS5 and then 5.5... but it sure would be nice.

Edison, you're absolutely right about life on the bleeding edge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines