Skip navigation
TrekkerRML
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 64 hangs-why?

May 8, 2012 8:17 PM

Tags: #cs6_crash #cs6_opening_problem

Just installed Photoshop CS6 Extended on two 64 bit Windows 7 machines. One went fine--a clean install on a workstation with no prior CS versions.

Second machine, a laptop,  not so good. The 64 bit version hangs as soon as I try to open a file, even using File > New. The program is totally hung and nonresponsive at that point. But the 32 bit version works fine.

Both machines are running 64 bit Win 7, SP1, autoupdated. The second machine had Photoshop 7 and Photoshop Elements 8 still present when I first installed CS6. When the 'hang' first happened, I uninstalled both, and then reinstalled CS6. Problem persisted. Unistalled and reinstalled CS6 again after reboot. Problem persisted.

VERY irritating, Adobe.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Which application are you talking about?

This forums is for complete suite  , you should discuss on the product specific forum like Illustrator , Indesign etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 4:15 AM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Update your graphics driver.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Hey TrekkerRML,

During the CS 5.5 install days, Adobe created a CS4/5/5.5 cleaner application that removed all remnants of Suite installs so that there would be no complications with payloads & installs.

For me when upgrading back then, the cleaner tool(s) worked.

I think they're still available on the Knowledge Base or whatever the support docs area is now called.

It is a frustrating process. I'm getting my discs today and hope to not experience these issues again.

I also wrote a blog post about installing CS5.5. It's methods might still be relative.

http://dickkirkland.com/blog/2011/05/09/whos-got-time-to-install-cs5-5 /

Good luck.

Sincerely,

Dick

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Do you receive an actual installation error or are you having problems when you launch the program itself?  The program could have installed properly but other factors maybe contributing to the behavior you are currently experiencing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.  The users in this forum can assist you with difficulties you are facing with performance issues of the software itself.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Did you update from Microsoft (mistake) or from ATI's website?

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Time to try the Event Viewer.  Check Help in OS on how to load.

Look for errors in Applications.  See what the Faulting Module says.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 9, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

Did you update from Microsoft (mistake) or from ATI's website?

Since it's a Mobility chipset we can assume it's probably a laptop.  The rules change for laptops; one usually has to update drivers from the laptop maker's web site, and the choices are often much more limited than at ATI.com.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 9, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Do you have any network devices defined that are not present at the moment (e.g., a mapped network drive that's only there when you're at work with the laptop), or a printer that was once there but isn't there any longer?

Have you tried leaving it alone at the "hung" state for a long time?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 9, 2012 5:28 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

TrekkerRML wrote:

Not clear why a drive connect should affect 64 bit PS vs 32 bit, which works fine.

They have separate preferences.  Have you tried clearing your preferences to defaults by pressing Control - Shift - Alt during a cold start of the 64 bit Photoshop?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Wow, crazy all of this you're having to go through.

Along with the Cleaner Tool(s), I make it a habit of going through and actually wiping out the prefs (mentioned above) along with any other Adobe related files.

These can often hang around in places you'd never think to look, like "AppData/Roaming, Local, Low".

There are also specific ARM files that track what's installed, registered, etc.

One more question, is the installation being carried out from a disc?

Is it being installed from a download?

In that blog post I mentioned, one time a tech. rep advised me to copy the contents of all directories of install discs onto the local drive of the machine.

There was a bug with payloads not being able to be accessed properly when installing from a set of directories on a disc.

Strange that you never recieved errors though.

On the last upgrade cycle, these were apparent, but may be hidden now.

There were even support docs citing these codes.

Are you using Windows Home Premium 64-Bit or Pro?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 10, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to TrekkerRML

It occurs to me that the latest version of your display driver may be broken.

You might want to see if an older version is available (I know ATI makes all the old releases available).

If you can, remove the latest display driver completely, and try installing Catalyst 12.2.  I found that release very stable.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I guess the fact that there are no errors on the install and the first launch goes o.k. may point to a video driver issue.

I would try the Catalyst suggestion Noel mentioned.

I had to do this once for something else.

I believe in order to obtain the driver for older cards, you have to install the full Catalyst product suite vs. trying to find an older driver that's a standalone.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to dickkirkland

I am having the identical problem, started just a couple of weeks ago.  I did have a bad mouse driver that was causing problems with a variety of programs, including Lightroom, but all except Photoshop CS6 were fixed when I backed that out.

I've checked the GPU settings, the ATI driver for my video card, uninstalled and reinstalled.  If I use PSCS6 in 32-bit mode, it works fine.  Not in 64-bit mode.  Running WIndows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64-bit.  I haven't seen a solution for this problem posted -- is there one?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 21, 2013 7:55 PM   in reply to LitewriterRS

ATI drivers have been horrendous lately.

The most recent release that actually works with Photoshop is Catalyst 12.8.  They haven't been able to release drivers that work since then in over 6 months.

I'm currently running Catalyst 13.3 beta 3.  This build actually seems to run pretty well with Photoshop CS6, but I haven't put a lot of miles on it yet.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to TrekkerRML

Chris, yes, a laptop: HP Envy 17.

It should not be an issue with a fairly current 17" laptop, but what is your display resolution set to?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points