May 6, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to pf22

I that also the demise of CS6 beta?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2012 1:21 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

Hudechrome wrote:

Is that also the demise of CS6 beta?

Officially, it appears so.  Whether the beta itself will magically stop working, I doubt it.  First of all, that mean everyone who is planning on getting CS6 on DVD would be left high and dry.

Message was edited by: station_one

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2012 6:09 AM   in reply to station_one

I don't know.  I uninstalled the beta and downloaded and installed the released version this morning.

Seems to me if the beta DOES stop working, and someone's installed the beta they could do what I just did (download the release) and get 30 more days of evaluation.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It is still working this morning.

If there is a 30 day trial, you could d/l and still ask for the DVD, then copy the serial number once you get it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

"I wonder if a company like EIZO already does this sort of thing."   N.C.

Indeed, a process similar to what you describe is done in Eizo monitors.  It would have to be done by any monitor manufacturer if high spatial uniformity of output characteristics is needed. That is, all LCD panels are manufactured with nonuniformities derived from several steps in the complicated process.  On top of that all back lights add an another layer of spatial variation. The end result is that spatial correction is mandatory today for high quality performance.

Measuring and correcting for each pixel is not done, nor does it have to be in most cases. One result of piling up nonuniformities from different sources, some of which may offset others,  is that the is that the cumulative nonuniformity is slowly varying (spatially). So the screen is conceptually divided in an array of zones and those zones are optically measured (automated) and corrections are derived for each zone and all pixels within that zone receive the same correction via hardware calculations & LUTs.   These corrections and LUTs are separate from, and follow in the data stream, those applied to the RGB input data to achieve color balance, accurate gamma and smooth tone transitions.  SO there is  relatively high performance silicon and 14-bit calculations going on inside an Eizo monitor and that plus the time and capital to physically characterize the front-of-screen performance is why the prices are what they are.  Also, Eizo starts with a tighter-than-typical spec on the raw panel  and that also drives up the price.

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 11:00 PM   in reply to Paulo Skylar

Good post Paolo. I know that Eizo has a program characterizing the entire monitor starting from screen selection, and you did a nice job explaining it.

The zone array and my idea of treating a set of pixels derived from circle of confusion concepts sort of match up. I didn't think that it would actually go pixel to pixel.

Do you know the size of the zone?

I' d bet Eizo doesn't scrap the panels that don't meet expectations. Probably sells them to Dell!

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

"Do you know the size of the zone?" - H.chrome

No I do not. That would be inside information as I've not seen it published.  Related correction schemes have used a uniform array of zones, something like an 8 by 8 array, but it is possible and perhaps even desirable to have a nonuniform array of zones. That is, match (in an approximate way) the corrections zones to the measured nonuniformity.

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points