Skip navigation
JohnQuixley
Currently Being Moderated

WHY ARE YOU RIPPING OFF AUSTRALIAN CUSTOMERS ADOBE?

Mar 7, 2012 1:09 AM

Tags: #4 #pricing #upgrades

Lightroom v4 has been offered at US $79 for an upgrade $149 full product. At today's exchange rate that would be just under A$75 (upgrade) or A$141 (Full). The UK store would be even better for us on today's rates at A$73 (upgrade) or A$129 (Full).

Instead these are the prices on the Adobe Store here in Australia

Full Product (Boxed) $219.09 + GST = $241.00
Full Product (Download) $187.00 ex GST
Upgrade (Boxed) $111.25 + GST = $122.38
Upgrade (Download) $98.75 ex GST

Esentially you are asking us to pay a 30% premium for using your product in the lucky country!

I have been a loyal Lightroom user since Version 1 and have also paid for upgrades for both v2 & v3. I wouldn't expect that Adobe would offer it at today's exchange rate but you are not even close. I will be in no hurry to upgrade with the unfair pricing policy that Adobe Australia seem to have in place.

John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

I'm with you John.

I checked 7 other countries prices on lightroom yesterday and they are all way cheaper than Australia.

Time to find a friend in the UK or US and get a license code that way.

But as others have been saying on other forums, at least the bit torrent price is the same across the globe.

Brett

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 9:48 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

Adobe is not an Australian company they have to pay taxes and exchange rates to get the money converted into USD.  Get a digital version and save some money, the shipping fees to send things to Australia is probably a lot of money for them.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to CHDA80

Still the Australian online version is more expensive, so your argument does not apply.

This time as a German I had been a bit better off: they first converted the 79 USD into 62 i.o. 60 EUR, then applied VAT.

For LR3 I was angry because they charged so wildly different within Europe. A French guy had to pay premium, a German was in the middle, UK the lowest. So I had ordered a boxed copy from Amazon.co.uk, which Adobe cannot hinder as they cannot interfere in common European union market.

They had offered some discount to beta testers then, but only to US residents, which infuriated me further.

Adobe obviously has a policy for pricing where they draw the maximum they think a market will yield.

I, too, consider this unfair. But it's called capitalism.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2012 10:50 PM   in reply to CHDA80

The digital version is more expensive in Australia than in the US (by about 20 per cent) and that's even with Adobe avoiding our 10% goods and services tax with the download - as its coming from an overseas server I presume. It's 122$Aus (incl GST) plus shipping if I want a hard copy upgrade sent to me from Sydney.

So I'm not buying for now. I'm hoping that the new cloud subscription service won't be too expensive here, and that it includes Lightroom. If not then I'll just upgrade Photoshop (and Illustrator) from CS5 to CS6, and they usually offer a 30% discount if you buy Lightroom abd PS upgrades together.

I can use the trial for a month in the meantime!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to Susan S.

Up until 2009 I used to be able to buy directly from the states - the only way I could afford the more expensive products. Now this has been taken from us, for reasons unknown to me

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

I agree with you and after using Lightroom from the beginning, and whilst I bconsider LR4 a great produc,t I will not purchase a download upgrade at this inflated price

Barry

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to BEHPhotog155

I would guess the support, marketing, distribution and legal overhead is higher in Australia than the US and those costs are tracked and factored in by region.  Also, I would guess the cheaper-than-normal price is some sort of sales-volume calculation that yields less advantage in sparser markets.  There may also be some calculation about projected CS6 upsells by those having LR4 that is less advantageous for Australia than the US based on some sort of economic projections.  But who knows.  I’d think it’s not just Adobe ripping off Australians based on some dislike, although it may feel that way to those who want to purchase it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Ah yes, support marketing and distribution costs: all those Adobe Lightroom trucks driving up and down the street helping people with their problems, and the cost of file transfers from the US to here (how else would the sale be GST exempt?), just terrible...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

You could find a replacement piece of software?  Oh wait, there's nothing good out that does what LR does.  Deal with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 2:27 PM   in reply to CHDA80

You sound like a citizen from a country which gets cross-subsidized prices from Adobe, financed elsewhere in world's market.

Telling people to deal with being used as hostages to support that system displays a strange notion of justice.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

You have a point John.

However I doubt that Adobe will change their pricing structure for Aus as a result.

Having said that, I will not be upgrading.  I was not keen to upgrade to V3 for the same reason, let alone the version 2 that I purchased.

I am very disappointed at the upgrade cost, even in USA dollars, far too high compared with the cost for an original purchase.

I liked version 4 too..

Barry

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to CHDA80

Yes indeed , your contribution here sounds callus and vindictive ...

I have my guesses as to why Adobe may be charging more in foreign markets, but they are that, guesses ... Pure conjecture ...

I, for one think it is high time that Adobe should "Cowboy up" ... And explain themselves ... This shouldn't be a secret ...

Adobe may have very legitimate and honest reasons for the pricing structures they impose on various markets ... Their silence speaks volumes that are far less than flattering and entirely unreasonable.

Many Lightroom users are in fact business people and well aware of the factors that go into the Cost of DoIng Business ... Hiding behind a veil of secrecy can only lead reasonable thinking people to believe something is amiss ...

Step up Adobe, clear the air (Like you did with dropping support for Windows XP) and explain the ramifications of your situation as far as pricing. Avoiding the subject only perpetuates the feeling you have something to hide. If your reasons for the increased pricing are indeed legitimate, most of us will understand the reasoning behind the move to do so. Don't keep your valuable customers in the dark. They deserve more, regardless where they call home on this planet.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:02 PM   in reply to Butch_M

The retail price of DSLR camera gear in Australia is higher than it is in other parts of Asia, the price of Lightroom is higher in Australia than it is in Asia (comparing the Adobe website price offered for Australia (AUD) and Asia (SGD) at today's exchange rate).  It is possible that this is a coincidence.  A few distributors, notably of Nikon and Sigma, have started matching grey market prices from Asia, presumably to try to avoid becoming irrelevant, but that is a recent thing and camera prices here have a way to fall. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

It seems that not many Australians care abiut this cost variation, or there are not many Australians that buy LR or they do not read the forums. Of course, this matter was raised with earlier uodates and there has been no change.

Pity.

The cost differential is not limited to Australia. I will treat LR as a USA use product only as far as upgrades are concerned.

Back to Lightroom 3, which was an expensive item when I purchased it.

Barry

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 4:21 PM   in reply to BEHPhotog155

If you factor in the poor bug-ridden quality of LR4, your attitude is even wise from that viewpoint alone!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

DON'T BUY IT.

I won't be buying anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:36 PM   in reply to JohnQuixley

Hey, you Photoshop users, don't take it personally.  Adobe is ripping everybody off in Australia.

For example, to download Dreamweaver CS6 costs $399 in the States and $677 in Aus.  Just have to find a friend to buy it for you in the States, or maybe Canada or Mexico ....

They've got to be dreaming if they think they can preserve such margins ...

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 10:50 PM   in reply to Bullstrode35

Bullstrode_35 wrote:

Hey, you Photoshop users, don't take it personally.  Adobe is ripping everybody off in Australia.

You might want to remember this is a User to User forum and as such, not the best place to *****&moan about pricing...you should be talking to Adobe AU. That's who sets the pricing, not us. Not our problem...take it up with the right folks...

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 12:03 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Hi,

Jeff Schewe wrote:

You might want to remember this is a User to User forum and as such, not the best place to *****&moan about pricing...you should be talking to Adobe AU. That's who sets the pricing, not us. Not our problem...take it up with the right folks...

Sorry but who decided to make the purchase of the downloaded product from the US site impossible from abroad countries? A lot of US software companies are allowing this. We just have to pay the VAT and a few bucks to our bank for the payment outside of the euro zone and that's it. Adobe just have to open their site to customers from abroad countries and the problem will be over, even if they only allow the english version to be purchased from abroad.

This decision has been made to protect the foreign subsidiaries and their questionable profit margins. Are you telling us that Adobe are not able to force their foreign subsidiaries to have a fair pricing policy?

I can admit that foreign users have to support the translation costs but this doesn't explain the huge price difference anyway (as a former software editor, I know this for sure). And many foreign users use the english version anyway and could therefore make a download purchase from the US site directly. And the UK and Australian users don't care about this anyway, I guess.

Finally, the cost of the support  is probably not higher in Europe or Australia than in the US.

Adobe has never been able to convince us that their pricing policy in abroad countries is fair. It is not. We are used to this but please do not try to justify what can't be justified and don't tell us that Adobe US are not involved. Nobody can believe this. Adobe should just be honest and say "We have no competition and we don't need to care about having a fair pricing policy. Period.".

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

Are you telling us that Adobe are not able to force their foreign subsidiaries to have a fair pricing policy?

No, I am saying that on this forum in this context, none of us could possibly make a difference...we are users based in whatever country we may be based in and there is ZERO we can do to bring about any change–the best bet is to take it up with your own region's retailers and leave the rest of us (who don't have to deal this) alone. I can't help you...but if you wanna ask about how to USE this stuff, I'm all ears–you wanna ***** about princing? Go somewhere else that might, possible help you (we can't do anything here).

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 1:24 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Jeff Schewe wrote:

the best bet is to take it up with your own region's retailers and leave the rest of us (who don't have to deal this) alone. I can't help you...but if you wanna ask about how to USE this stuff, I'm all ears–you wanna ***** about princing? Go somewhere else that might, possible help you (we can't do anything here).

A lot of us already got in touch with their own region's Adobe representatives and as far as I know, most of the time these people don't even answer or they give irrelevant anwsers. Claims sent to the support about this issue don't get any answer either.

We don't want to bother anyone. The thread title is explicit enough and those who don't want to discuss this issue can merely ignore it. But we do know that Adobe employees are reading this forum (it might be a user-to-user forum but it belongs to Adobe). So it's the only way to draw their attention to this pricing policy problem.

Obviously, you are not interested in this discussion, so just ignore this thread. However, it seems that you feel obliged to jump in each time someone expresses a critic against Adobe. Are you just a (very skilled) user/expert/author or mainly an Adobe evangelist, in which case your opinion about how we should try to change Adobe's vision of their pricing policy in abroad countries is irrelevant?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points