Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Very simple questions about brushes

May 8, 2012 7:38 PM

I have a couple of Illustrator questions that are driving me crazy. I'm sure there is a very simple answeer for these.

1. When I draw a stroked path and then apply a textured charcoal brush effect to it, how do I colour it? It keeps giving me tint/shades or black options - not the specific full hue of what I'm trying to apply. Even when I tell it to use "None" in the colourization method...

This is driving me crazy! But simple I'm sure of it.

2. How do I adjust the tapering of a "tapered" brush stroke?

3. How do I adjust the amount of texturing to the charcoal brushes?

Thanks a million!

Cheers,

J

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 8:19 PM   in reply to jameshboorman01

Hi James

Are you trying to use the default charcoal brushes? If so, they should colorize to whatever stroke color you choose without a problem. Perhaps you mean that the color panel is only showing the grayscale/black ramp? If that's the case, open the stroke panel flyout menu and change the color space to RGB or CMYK and you'll get color options. Alternatively you could double click the stroke icon in the color panel or the tool panel and choose a color from the picker that pops up. If that's not what you mean, please clarify.

As for adjusting the texturing and tapering of a brush, you'll really need to edit the shape that made the brush and then resave it as a new brush. Simply drag the brush shape from the brushes panel onto the artboard. it will appear as paths that you can modify. Use whatever means you want to change the texture, filters or manually. Then I'd suggest either the transform tool or the scale tool (set to non-uniform) to adjust the taper. When it looks the way you want it to, drag it back on the brush panel. Charcoal brushes are art brushes so choose that when the popup asks. Colorization method should be set to "tints". That should do it.

if you want to re-use that brush, be sure to save it. Go back to the flyout menu in the brush panel and choose "save brush library"

Michael

http://www.learnadobesoftware.com

edited: added the line 'Colorization method should be set to "tints".'

Message was edited by: Michael Riordan

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to jameshboorman01

I can't seem to duplicate the problem, everything is doing exactly what you want it to do on my end. Here are a couple of screen shots:

Screen Shot 2012-05-08 at 11.03.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-05-08 at 11.04.34 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to jameshboorman01

Hi James

Really there is no difference between the 2 brushes. The panel labelled "Artistic_ChalkCharcoalPencil" is simply one of the collections of brushes that come with Illustrator but are not necessarily preloaded. There are many more, accessible through the little icon at the lower left corner of the brushes panel. Notice that if you click on the brush just under the one highlighted on the left, it will be loaded into the brushes panel on the right, making it accessible and usable. So it;s the same brush. you can close the left panel if you don't want to load any of the other brush options.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 11:31 PM   in reply to jameshboorman01

You're welcome! Sorry I couldn't get to the heart of your problem.

719 S Grove Avenue

Oak Park, Illinois 60304

michael@learnadobesoftware.com

www.learnadobesoftware.com

708-655-8507

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 2:15 AM   in reply to Michael Riordan

This happens with some of the brushes in RGB color mode. Some of the brushes shapes are colored in grayscale black. What you need to do is drag the brush out of the brushes panel, color its shape in RGB 000 (when in RGB color mode) then drag it into the brushes panel again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 5:46 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Look at that. Learned something new today. Nice Monika.

michael@learnadobesoftware.com

www.learnadobesoftware.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to Michael Riordan

I felt compelled to try this out in the CS6 beta. It's still there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 6:10 AM   in reply to Michael Riordan

Would be difficult to solve it at all, becausse brushes functionality, color mode and color management play in this together.

In order for the brushes coloring to work, you need them in either K100 (but grayscale black works as well) or RGB000 depending on the color mode. So what you would need are two sets of brushes libraries. But then people might be troubled even more deciding which one to use.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

You don't need two sets of brushes libraries. You need one set of brushes created in RGB color mode of the document not RGB color mode of the color panel which in CMYK color mode of the document is still CMYK colors converted to RGB numbers. The color mode of the document is displayed in the title of the document's window and can be changed from File > Document Color mode. Brushes created in RGB color mode will always give equal color in any of the CMYK color spaces because CMYK gamut has lighter blacks.

Adobe made a stupid mistake by creating brushes in a CMYK color space. When the blacks of the CMYK color spaces are converted to RGB color spaces they are not fully black because the color management matches the colors - the full black in a CMYK color space matches some dark gray in a RGB color space because RGB color spaces have wider gamut allowing darker blacks not possible with CMYK spaces.

This is not a bug, simply bad workflow used by the people who created the brush libraries and users have to fix that by recreating the brushes in  RGB color mode of the document.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to emil emil

Actually there already are two sets of brushes.

If you open a new document in RGB, you get RGB brushes, RGB styles, RGB symbols, RGB Swatches, etc.

If you open a new document in CMYK, you get CMYK brushes, CMYK styles, CMYK symbols, CMYK Swatches, etc.

The issue presents itself when a document starts in one color mode then the user switches to another.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to [scott w]

@Scott-Sorry Scott but I beg to differ. I tested the problem again, starting with a new document set to RGB. The color did appear  as R=0, G=0, B=0 in the color panel when the brush was initially applied, but the problem with the color still occurred when a new color swatch was chosen. It doesn't seem to matter if you start with RGB or CMYK.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points