I'm working in Captivate 5.5 on a Windows 7 machine. When I place WAV files, the audio sounds normal in the timeline, or in Play this Slide, but in Preview or Publish, the sound is slowed way down, like in slow motion. The slide is playing back at normal speed, and even synced closed captions play back as though the audio were the normal length and speed. Because of this, the slide finishes playing way before the audio is done. Looking at the Properties of the WAV file, the bit rate is 705kbps.The audio sample rate is 44.10, and the file is set to play at 15 fps. I haven't been able to find this issue anywhere else on the Internet. What in the world is wrong?
OK. Using 64kbps should be fine.
Try this test: Export these WAV files out of the project (from the Library or by using the Audio Management dialog). Then re-import them into another blank project with no content but several blank slides. Drag the WAV files from the Library in this project to a slide for each one. Then try publishing and playing the test project.
If you get the same result, the issue is either with your PC resources, your browser Flash Player version, or the sheer size of the WAV files (though I doubt this last one).
If your test project plays fine, then there is something in your original project that is causing the issue. Do you have any widgets in this project? If so, try setting their visibility flag in Properties tab to OFF so that the widget/s are disabled. Then test publish.
Let me know the results of these tests.
Thanks for the detailed suggestions. I exported the sound files and reimported them into a new file of the same dimensions as the original project. Playback was fine. I tried deleting the sound files from the original project and importing the ones I had exported -- playback was slow. I tried deleleting the new sound files from the new project and importing the old files. Playback was fine in the new file using the old sound files. I also tried deleting all the graphics from the original file, which had no effect.So, it seems the problem is in the Captivate file. There aren't any widgets in the project. I checked the Project info and didn't see anything in there that was different from one to the other, except my project was set to 15 fps and the new one was at 30 fps. However, changing that setting didn't make any difference.
I've tried pasting the slides from my original file into a new file and the sound playback is fine. So, there must be some setting in my files that is causing the problem. For now, I think I'll just make new files by cutting and pasting and maybe try to figure out what caused the problem later, if I can.
Thanks for your help!
Actually, the next thing I was going to suggest to you was to copy slides into a new project shell.
Sometimes Captivate projects can get a bit overloaded with bloat and junk under the hood that slows things down. When you copy paste stuff into the new project, you only bring across what each slide needs. You leave the junk behnd (and any variables or custom advanced actions you may have set up). Captivate also renames every element with a new unique ID. So if there were any issues previously caused by duplicate IDs then copy/paste usually sorts that out too.
So go for it!
Europe, Middle East and Africa