Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6 Insists on Running as Administrator - PC

May 7, 2012 6:36 PM

Everything worked so well in CS5 Extended......

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - MSI 990FXA-GD80 Motherboard - AMD Phenom II X6 1100T CPU - nVideo GTX550ti Video

Okay, I have CS6 running on an SSD.  Initially with CS6 Beta I found I had to run as Administrator.  I eventually discovered how to run as a user by going into Preferences / Performance and setting my scratch disk to my hard drive.

So now I have the CS6 release.  I deleted CS6 Beta as instructed and followed directions for the install.  CS6 works fine except for the bugs that I reported in the beta forum .  My problem is now that Bridge insists on running as Administrator.  If I try and run it as a user, it comes up and quits immediately.  It doesn't make a wisp of difference where I set my Cache file, SSD or hard drive.  I can even deal with that, however now I can't start Bridge from Photoshop!  I click on File / Browse in Bridge and nothing happens.  If I start Bridge then go to Photoshop and click on File / Browse in Bridge, still nothing happens.  I have to manually switch to the Bridge window.

Help!!

Gerry

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to gswetsky

Go into edit/preferences/startup scripts and make sure you have them checked, at least Bridge and Photoshop.

HAving to run in Admin. mode is a permission issue with the OS.  Either how you installed or persission levels to HD.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 8, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to gswetsky

gswetsky wrote:

CS6 works fine except for the bugs that I reported in the beta forum .

That's not surprising, since the code we're getting in the released CS6 package was built in mid-March.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 7:02 AM   in reply to gswetsky

Hello Gerry

I have exactly the same problem and the same lack of success.

I am running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Never had any trouble with CS4 and CS5 with similar placing of files.
    It is a shame to pay for such an expensive software that does not work as it should.

Hello, Adobe! Anybody out there?

- Mauro

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to Mauro Lins de Barros

HAve you checked your Event Log to see if there are any program alserts listed in the application section?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to gswetsky

Your error lies with the Faulting module  MMXCore.88X

Here is an Adobe LINK for this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to Curt Y

This is a really old link as it is for PS5, but you might be able to find a better link.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to gswetsky

Not a computer geek, but the Faulting Module is where your OS says the problem lies.

Search you computer to see if MMXCore.88X is there or should be there and is not.  What does it mean that MMXCore.88X is unloaded for instance?

Do a web serarch for MMXCore.88X and see if you come up with something that fits.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 8, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to gswetsky

Out of curiosity, is it possible you have connected Photoshop CS6 with plug-ins from a prior version?

This can happen by inadvertently copying plug-ins from an older Photoshop, or defining an Extra Plug-ins Folder setting that points back to the plug-ins area under an older version of Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to gswetsky

For what it's worth, I have the exact same Problem.

Win 7 64 bit, Intel i5, SSD for my programs and LR catalog; several HDDs for the rest.

I have changed permissions to grant full access to the SSD for everybody - although I feel I shouldn't have to. Every other program is running fine without, including Bridge CS5.

I'm be happy to provide more information if you let me know what is needed.

I would like to use the SSD for a PS scratch disk as well, but it won't work so far.

I hope it can be fixed soon. I'm also curious why Adobe does a public beta when the issues found there can't be fixed in time for release?

Best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to MarcDab

MarcDab wrote:

I would like to use the SSD for a PS scratch disk as well, but it won't work so far.

A SSD has a certain life for write acts.  It is suggested by many that you use the SSD for read functions primairly (like were the programs are) rather than as a scratch disk where there are lots of read/write cycles.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

A SSD has a certain life for write acts.  It is suggested by many that you use the SSD for read functions primairly (like were the programs are) rather than as a scratch disk where there are lots of read/write cycles.

Hi Curt,

I'm aware of this suggestion. However, this would mean avoiding it for all uses with significant write loads - such as using it for the LR catalog and previews - as well.

That is where I hope to gain some additional performance though. Faster boot and load times are nice, but an increase in performance using the program is worth much more to me than cutting the load time in half.

Therefore I "overbought" the SSD for my needs and use generous overprovisioning. And when I run it into the ground eventually, then so be it. I bought it for performance, not longevity.

But that is personal matter of course, YMMV.

Best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 9, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

SSD has a certain life for write acts.  It is suggested by many that you use the SSD for read functions primairly (like were the programs are) rather than as a scratch disk where there are lots of read/write cycles.

That information is dated, and happily no longer true.

Modern SSDs with SandForce controllers do wear-leveling.  I just built an SSD array for my workstation that delivers over 1.5 gigabytes/second throughput and I use it for everything - Photoshop scratch, TEMP, all Windows features.

I did some math and projected the lifespan to well over 10 years.  Longer than an electromechanical drive would last.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,  guess things change rapidly.  That was the advice seems like only 4 months ago.

On the issue of OP and the other thread.  It appears both are using SSD and get this error in the faulting module -  MMXCore.8BX_unloaded

Is there something with SSD controler that would cause this problem?    Have never seen this before.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 9, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to Curt Y

While the SandForce-controlled drives have been around for a little longer than that, these brilliant controllers really have only *just* changed the landscape and pushed SSD over into the mainstream for computer storage.  You don't even have to worry about whether the OS supports TRIM any more, because the controller's background maintenance (often called "garbage collection") just deals with it - all you need to do is just plug in the drive and use it.  Even in a RAID array.

That's not to say the increased SSD speed can be handled perfectly by every system, some folks do have problems with them.  But then some folks also have problems when they plug in another electromechanical hard drive.

I kind of remember a post from someone (possibly gswetsky) in which they were doing some exceptional stuff to make parts of their system connect to a different drive for certain things (e.g., using a file system junction to move C:\Users elsewhere).  While that sort of thing really should work, the best approach is to just overprovision the system with way more than enough storage than is needed on drive C: and just use it normally.

I think the Adobe people verified a crash problem when certain folders were inaccessible, but that certainly wouldn't have gotten into the CS6 release code yet, since the release code was built on March 15.  I imagine things are going to get better with the 13.0.1 update, whenever that comes out.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 2:33 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Having the same problem here too after upgrade from CS5 Extended to CS6 Extended. I did not install the Beta version. Uninstalled CS5 first and did clean install of CS6. Bridge starts fine but crashes out as soon as the main window appears. Photoshop itself is fine. CS6 package installed on SSD and using internal hard drive as a scratch disk. Resent paying out for the best package in the business and then having to ensure I run as Administrator just to use it.

Adobe - we need a fix for this now.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Simon-1965

Simon, does your username explicitly have Full Control access to all the root folders of your hard drives that Photoshop might be trying to use for scratch storage?

I agree, it shouldn't crash - that's an unacceptable way to deal with a permissions issue, but adding Full Control access for your username to the root folders might work around it for you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Simon, since you commented in the Bridge Forum on this same problem you should have read the following quote - Adobe is working on it.

"Hi David,

Can Bridge work if you run it as administrator? If yes, will it generate a temp file named like “Photoshop Tempxxxxxx” under the root of C drive when Bridge launch? If still yes, it should be a same issue as what others encountered. And we are investigating this issue now.

Chenglong

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel. Yes, Full Control for the whole C drive where CS6 is loaded. I'm an Admin user and the only user of the PC.

Many thanks.

Simon

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to Simon-1965

Simon-1965 wrote:

I'm an Admin user and the only user of the PC

First off, I said root folders of all drives, that would include any other than drive C: that you might have.

And you need to understand that Windows UAC ensures you're normally running without Administrator level privileges.  That's why your username specifically needs to get the Full Control permissions to the root folders.

To work around this problem, the permissions need to be set only on the root folder.  Setting Full Control on all folders essentially thwarts almost all of what UAC does to protect you, so if you're going to do that you might as well just turn UAC all the way off.

For what it's worth, I've long since abandoned the stupidity of UAC myself.  But I'm a software engineer and know exactly what that means, and what practices to follow to ensure I don't get malware infections.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Many thanks again Noel. Confirmed that I have Full Control of all root folders on all drives. Still no success - Bridge crashes as before.

Simon

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Simon-1965

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but do you have Full Control permissions for the folder identified by your TEMP environment variable as well?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to Simon-1965

FYI, there was a hint by an Adobe engineer yesterday (in the context of another issue) that we might see a 13.0.1 patch released fairly soon.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Affirmative - my Temp is in my Scratch Drive which I have Full Control permissions for. Simon

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to gswetsky

I think the point of trying to help people find workarounds is that no one here save for the Adobe folks know when they're likely to release that fix.

gswetsky wrote:

it seems the CS6 Beta was released totally as a marketing ploy and not at all to allow us to work with it and report bugs.

When was the Photoshop CS6 beta first made available?  The date I recall is March 22, 2012, and that software was actually built from sources on March 5, near as I can tell.

For reference, note the build dates on the files installed as part of the Photoshop CS6 release:

PhotoshopBuildDate.jpg

Software preparation for release is normally a pipeline, with engineers working on code, build teams building code into executables and installers, system testers testing builds, beta testers testing potential releases, and customers downloading released code all simultaneously.

I suspect Adobe was expecting to be able to release the Photoshop CS6 they already had built by the time the beta test started, unless any real "show stopper" bugs were found.  Bottom line I think is that we can assume none of the customer-reported bugs during the public beta were gauged "show stoppers".  I'm pretty sure not everyone sees the crash you're seeing.

There's always pressure to get a release out, even if it's not perfect, as long as some customers can derive value from it...  Proceeds from sales can keep the lights on at the factory while the first update is prepared.

We only hope that update makes everything better without making anything worse.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

I'll add my results for your suggested actions to the mix:

When run as Administrator Bridge works and creates the "Photoshop Tempxxxxxx” file in C:\

I created full access permissions specifically for my user, and it crashes. I'm not sure how to limit this just to the root directory though, it seems to try and change the whole path tree.

All my other drives, like my usual PS scratch partition have much more strict access rights for my user's group (read/list/open, no write access) but it works fine.

So it really seems to be a UAC issue specifically with the C:\ drive.

I look forward to the patch, hopefully that will enable me to use c: as a scratch drive too.

Best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to MarcDab

I suppose it's possible that UAC is blocking root access to drive C:\ regardless of whether permissions are granted.  I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do something like that.

It's why I've long since deconfigured UAC.  I don't need more magic from my OS to protect my system from me.  I need it to work.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to gswetsky

gswetsky wrote:

[...]

All I can say is it seems the CS6 Beta was released totally as a marketing ploy and not at all to allow us to work with it and report bugs.  If that is the case, then I'm thoroughly disappointed with Adobe.  Following the release of the "Beta", the feedback in the forums should have been evaluated and fixes made before the software was released to the public.  Deleting the forum was entirely unprofessional!

Gerry

I have to agree. I'm aware that there are significant lead times involved, for production of the discs, shipping etc. so I understand that the results of the public beta could not have been included in the shipped version. However, a "Zero-Day" Patch, like it was done with the release of ACR 7.1 RC, would have been a nice touch.

They way things stand, I also wonder if the propose of the beta really was to gather feedback.

Hopefully a patch for a lot of the reported bugs comes quickly.

Best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I suppose it's possible that UAC is blocking root access to drive C:\ regardless of whether permissions are granted.  I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do something like that.

It's why I've long since deconfigured UAC.  I don't need more magic from my OS to protect my system from me.  I need it to work.

-Noel

While that is probably true, I have used it for years now and never had problems. Whether it is actually increasing security or is more of a placebo effect, I don't know. But I have found it to be well behaved and not causing issues in all the years with different PC configurations and lots and lots of different programs. Therefore I'm not sure why CS6 needs special treatment.

Also: I'm no programmer, but isn't the writing of Temp files in root directories of anything considered bad form, no matter what? It just recently learned that Adobe was leaving all those weird files on my picture drive (where I never authorized it).

Best,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 11, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to MarcDab

MarcDab wrote:

isn't the writing of Temp files in root directories of anything considered bad form

Yes, absolutely true.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm having this same problem on Windows 7, with a fresh install of 64 bit CS6. I'm not using an SSD. Bridge works if I run it as admin, crashes otherwise.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 12, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to digiscuro

As I have UAC disabled on my system, I am essentially running it "As Administrator" as well...

I wonder if anyone running Windows normally (with UAC enabled) is able to run Bridge?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points