Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

insert variable with keyboard shortcut

May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only keyboard shortcut I can find to insert a variable is CTRL-0. This colors the left side

of the status bar and gives you the entire list of user variables with -- with "Not Applicable" as the

highlighted choice. It appears that you have to traverse the list with the mouse pointer and

click on the desired variable.

This is just as cumbersome as calling up the variables pod and double clicking on the

variable you want.

Is there a way to define a keyboard shortcut to insert a particular variable?

Cheers,

JP

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Oh, I have seen this before. Its a transient problem. It happens intermittently but it does happen semi frequently for me. And I am on the latest greatest patched version of FM 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need to use the mouse. After you press the ctrl-0 to trigger the shortcut, just start typing the variable name that you want. The list of variables in the status bar will jump to the matched string as you continue typing. Depending upon your naming convention used, you should be able to home in on a desired variable in a few keystrokes.

This method is used for a number of other catalog lists as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

Yes, that is what I've tried but it doesn't seem to work.

When I type CTRL-0, the list appears as described above, with "Not Applicable" in the

dropdown list selection box. The variable name I want is SM2, and when I start typing SM2,

the box displays "Section Number" as soon as I hit S, and stays that way even if I type

all three characters.

However, if I display the drop-down list and click on SM2, the variable is inserted as expected.

Cheers,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of FM (including point release info) are you using? FWIW, it works just fine for me - I tried your specific instance and the first "s" shows the "Section Number" and the "m" then jumped to the "SM2" variable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to 10.0.2 and the behavior is the same.

I can't tell you the version number I had been running because I couldn't find an "About" button.

I thought that FM checked for updates when I installed it from a 10.0 CD. Applications typically check

for available updates when you install and register and let you choose whether to update.

So Adobe doesn't inform you of new FM updates either?

I really appreciate the help I get from this forum. Even though the update installation didn't

say I had to reboot, I'll try that and let you know whether that changes the behavior.

I'd reboot and check right now except that I have a gazillion things open while I work on

the client's document.

But it's not a life-or-death situation. I may even retain my sanity while trying to figure this out...

Thanks again,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Help > About FrameMaker section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to check if the Adobe Application Manager has the automatic updates for FM enabled. From the FM menu Help > Updates...., then click the Preferences button to see what's set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I have seen this before. Its a transient problem. It happens intermittently but it does happen semi frequently for me. And I am on the latest greatest patched version of FM 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, jaloren28. After several openings/closings of FM editing sessions, this feature suddenly began to work as advertised.

Cheers,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarting the machine always works for me. Its ugly but it works every time.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh. And 10 minutes later it stopped working.

Cheers,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, when you say 'restarting the machine," do you mean rebooting?

Cheers,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines