Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"attachments" not included?

May 9, 2012 8:54 AM

A lot of times when I re-save or optimize a pdf in Acrobat I get a warning dialog that says something to the effect of "This document contains attachments which were not included..." What is an "attachment" to a PDF? On a lot of these files I created the original and I never purposely did anything that I thought could be considered creating an attachment. And I never notice any difference before or after it supposedly strips off the attachment. What are these attachments and where do they come from?

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    May 9, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to jfraze

Acrobat allows you to attach files to a PDF. They can later be extracted. You can check to see if there are any by opening the Attachments pane:

attachments.png

How are you creating the original PDFs?

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    May 9, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to jfraze

It's possible that attachments are being added by Distiller. For example, if you have the "Save Adobe PDF Settings inside  PDF file" and/or "Save Portable Job Ticket inside PDF File" (I think) selected in Distiller's Advanced settings, it will include those things as attachments. The former will be a .joboptions file and I'm not certain of the latter.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points