• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy Highlighted Text in Pdf file

Sep 09, 2011 Sep 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Recently I downloaded the Adobe Reader X (version 10.0). This version allows me to highlight text (in yellow colour). However, If I want to copy a highlighted block of text (for instance to paste into a Word document), I am not able to do this. When I select the highlighted text and click on the right mouse click, it doesn't give me the opportunity to copy this text. Therefore, I was wondering whether I can copy the highlighted text in another way?

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Kind regards,

Sleighon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. This is a nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the text (not the highlight) and press Ctrl+C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too. The problem is that I CAN'T "Select the text (not the highlight)". If I have a paragraph of text highlighted in a PDF and the selection tool enabled, when I mouse over the highlighted text my cursor changes from a standard cursor to four-sided arrow. If I click on the block of highlighting, the block itself is selected (not the text beneath it).

So, to repeat, how does one select the text if it is already highlighted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select the highlighted text and click on the right mouse click, it doesn't give me the opportunity to copy this text.

Which options did you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. More than a nuisace, hindering productivity. Any solutions appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2012 May 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not very practical, but I got around this by selecting a larger area than the highlighted text I wanted to copy, i.e. starting before the part I wanted and finishing after it. Then pasting the whole lot, and deleting the parts I didn't want after pasting it.

I don't understand why it's not possible just to copy highlighted text though, it seems ridiculous to remove the option!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why it isn't possible to copy highlighted text either.  The suggestion to expand the area beyone the highlighted section is great but, again, it is inconvenient and hampers productivity.  Simply put, it is a nuisance in adition to being stupid.  Not a characteristic that is often attributed to Adobe products!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see what the problem is...

1. highlight some text
  2. right-click on the document and click Select Tool
  3. select the (highlighted) text you want to copy
  4. Ctrl+C to copy
  5. paste it anywhere, e.g. in Word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems you don't understand where the problem is. APPLY a highlight to the text, which is to say select it and use the Tools function to highlight the text. The text you've highlighted now remains yellow. Now, choose the same chunk of text you've highlighted and go to Edit, under which you will notice that the Copy function has been disabled. Once a section of text has been Highlighted the Copy function is disabled for that section of text. This makes no sense at all and is a considerable impediment to productivity for folks who use these functions together on a regular basis. Even with Adobe Pro XI this issue has not been resolved, when simple programs like Kindle apps get it right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting problem. I think it's because annotations always see clicks in preference to the underlying page. Almost always.

It's quite easy to select text which begins outside or ends outside a highlighted section.

Click outside the highlight (or just before the beginning, or just after the end).

Release the mouse (this isn't a drag action). The flashing cursor should appear.

Now Shift+click inside the highlight. Text between the two points can be copied.

I noticed this because for me it's a faster more accurate way of selecting text which works in almost all apps, so I often use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's one way to get around a flaw in the program, but it's inconvenient as it requires deleting the additional text when pasting. Also, if you want to copy a chunk of text that is embedded within a longer highlighted section it's even more of a nuisance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kaemus78 wrote:

It seems you don't understand where the problem is.

Indeed, I do not understand what the problem is.  When I tested it yesterday (using Reader 11.0.1) I actually took some screenshot, but I didn't think it necessary to post them.  I'll do it now.

Opening a random PDF from My Documents

hlc1.png

then highlight some text

hlc2.png

apply the Select Tool (using right-click)

hlc3.png

select the same highlighted text

hlc4.png

copy (Ctrl+C) then paste it into an empty Word document

hlc5.png

Ok, the highlighting did not get copied over - is this the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the problem is that I use Mac, but this doesn't work with my system. Any highlighted text that I select cannot be copied. The copy function is disabled with any highlighted text. I don't know if this has any connection, but when I right click on highlighted text there isn't a Select Tool option. Still, when my cursor is in Select Tool mode (via the tool bar), and I select highlighted text, the copy function is disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with both Acrobat Pro 11.0.1 and Reader 11.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kaemus78 wrote:

Perhaps the problem is that I use Mac, but this doesn't work with my system.

Ah, that's indeed a possibility - that the defect exists only on the Mac version.  I use, as you have noticed, Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible because you can put the cursor outside of the highlighted text. Now, try highlighting from somewhere in the middle of a paragraph, and using select tool, and try to select the higlighted line exactly. No more no less. You can't. You have to resort to selecting extra words along with the one in the highlighted area, and delete the unwanted afterwards. Freaking annoying.

ado.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you also on a Mac?  On Windows I have no problems doing exactly that:

Original paragraph

chl1.png

Select some text

chl2.png

Highlight it

chl3.png

Select the highlighted text

chl4.png

Copy it using Ctrl+C.

I suggest that Mac users experiencing this problem report it at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im on windows7.. are you doing it with keyboard? i want to hightlight and select both using mouse.. it is fine with keyboard.. it's just doesn't seem to work with mouse..

EDIT: i just found it!! you have to be on READ MODE to be able to highlight and select easily using mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2013 Mar 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cryptdecrypt, wow, thanks for that solution! Yes, when you switch to Read Mode (ctrl+H), it's much easier to select Highlighted text.

Ugh, it is a total user experience fail to try to select text after it's already been highlighted by the Highlight Tool. I was previously using shift+click, but it was still difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2013 May 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree completely that this is a user experience FAIL on Adobe's part.  Adobe developers - please think about it from the casual user's point of view.  Imagine the poor user clicking on every possible option trying to get this to work until they happen to stumble onto the fact that they have to be in "Read Mode" for this to work (and WTF is "Read Mode" anyway?).  Users shouldn't have to search the forums to figure out how to make something as simple as copy and paste to work, just because they have highlighted some text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wholeheartedly agree. Adobe's UI for any of their software is a total disaster. It is nearly 100% non-intuitive. You have to comb the menus or Google almost anything you want to do. And the solution is almost always a kludge like this one. If SHIFT worked properly, that would be OK, but it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you SO SO SO much, you just made my life a  jazillion times easier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now way! This actually works. I never knew what 'Read Mode' was for and still don't. Why would anyone need or want a separate read mode? I can read just as easily in normal mode, thank you. And why should I have to toggle read mode on/off just to be able to select and copy text from a highlighted section? Just one more Adobe annoyance IMO. But thanks for finding this and pointing it out.

On OS X the shortcut to toggle Read Mode ON/OFF is:

Ctrl-CMD-H

On 'Doze it's:

Ctrl-H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This function is horrible. the problem is not just we can't copy and paste but have to click several times to get it. for every extra click we make, we lose our time. there should be a short key while our right hand on mouse and left hand on keyboard.

Also can we have an option to copy all or print all highlighted text for all pages or a range of pages. This would save a great amount of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines