Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What the heck is a "trending question"?

May 7, 2012 7:44 PM

I know I live in a cave, so I'm probably the only one who doesn't know it, but that phrase conveys nothing useful to me. What does it mean?

Thanks,

Peter

Replies
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    May 7, 2012 8:50 PM   in reply to tromboniator

Something that's "trending" just means it's experiencing a rise is occurrence frequency or popularity. Imagine a line chart with a steadily rising line as it proceeds to the right.

Also, think of a "trendy" fashion - it's suddenly popular. So, a "trending question" is one that's suddenly being asked a lot, like search queries that Google defaults to when giving you suggestions to complete an incomplete search query.

If you're a man, does that make you a caveman?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    May 8, 2012 1:36 AM   in reply to tromboniator

I might be wrong, but it seems that trending could be replaced by latest in this case.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2012 3:08 AM   in reply to tromboniator

According to the Oxford dictionary the intransitive verb to trend means to bend or turn away in a specified direction, show a certain tendency.

Could a trending question therefore be something like a leading question; a question that is asked in such a way as to beg a trended answer?

Quite frankly I think a trending question is gobbeldegook invented by someone who hasn't got sufficient grasp of plain English to be able to express himself clearly and concisely. Something we can all do without.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    May 8, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Haha . . . oh, Steve . . . Someone is not liking the forum "improvements". Well, nor am I. The cleaner look is nice, but it feels more like a test layout than a polished one.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to Mathias17

"Dude, your question is so cool - I'm totes posting it to my tumblr."  Trending.

Seems like Jive had fixed a few of the problems we all had with the forums so they had to add a few new broken features so they had something to look forward to doing for their next paycheck.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 5:41 AM   in reply to tromboniator

Peter,

Here (post #93 in the thread),

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4390337?tstart=0#4390337

is the answer by a sinister insider:

"Trending Questions" is newspeak for "Recent Activity", though not everything that trends is actually a question. You can tell by the color of the speech-bubbble icon.

Further to current senses (1933) according to the OED (the big one), in the figurative sense 4b), to trend is:

• To turn in some direction, to have a general tendency (as a discussion, events, etc.).

And the verbal substantive Trending sense 2):

• The fact or manner of turning, bending away, or taking a (specified) direction, as a coastline, etc.; general direction, trend.

And there is also sense 1b):

• The winding of wool in a top.

The last one may be most accurate: the expression seems to be rather woolly.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts
    Feb 20, 2012
    May 9, 2012 6:30 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Yep, definitely sense 1b. Gotta be it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Mathias17
    451 posts