Will Creative Cloud subscribers have the option to purchase a CS7 perpetual license upgrade if they find they no longer wish to pay a monthly subscription?
As of now, its too early to say. Have you had a look at the FAQs? It might have some clues: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html
Thanks for your reply. I understand you can't answer it now, but before loyal customers start subscribing, it would be sincerely appreciated if this matter could be addressed.
I have the exact same question and have posted it to Adobe Support in many different ways, including twitter direct messages and mentions, and still havent heard a reply.
Not knowing what lies ahead should I decide to opt out of the Creative Cloud subscription makes me nervous and uncertain about my decision, and I'm sure this is the case for many others. I don't want to find out in the future that I'm not eligible for an upgrade price to the next version of the Creative Suite, should I decide to buy my software outright again. Please keep me posted on any replies you receive to your question.
I agree, we really need some idea if this is a 'no going back' decision, I'm sure everyone knows only too well that business circumstances can change dramatically over the course of a year or two, and while subscriptions could suit us today, it might not be the most cost effective solution in the future, but we can't take the chance if it means paying a full purchase price in the future to go back to perpetual licensing
+1 with the same question. how can you decide to go on a new service without knowing what's going to happen if you want to return to the old way again? this "typical" adobe answer makes me only think that in the next 1-2 upgrades are going to change to just adobe-cloud membership only. it's a bad joke to tell us, that marketing -after this very big updating paradigm change- don't know yet what is going to happen on the near future... they are just hiding us the information. so, i guess, if you need the software to work, take all rebates you can have and hope. my opinion is that adobe is going to make all their product with membership-only in the near future, or you are going to pay more if you want it the old way... this monopoly can do what they want.
Message was edited by: fsoubiran So... it seems today nikhil changed his last statement with a friendly one. thank you.
I found this in the CS6 FAQ:
There are no discounts for perpetual licenses for subscription customers.
I take this to mean that the answer is no; if I subscribe to Creative Cloud for a year, then change my mind, I'll have to pay full price for CS7.
With no exit strategy, that makes Creative Cloud something I'm not willing to move to. For now I'll stick with the tried-and-true. Especially since letting the Creative Cloud subscription lapse means that the software is no longer available for use. With a perpetual license, if I decide not to upgrade at least I can still use it.
I spoke to customer sales rep by phone yesterday and was told that I had the following options:
1) stick with Creative suite and upgrade for $525
2) move to creative cloud and pay $49.99/month (one year commitment)
3) move to creative cloud and pay $29.99/month (one year commitment) with discount for existing customers
If I do either 1 or 2, I would be able to maintain upgrade capability on my existing CS5.5 Master Collection Suite.
If I take the $20/month discount (based on "upgrading" my suite TO the creative cloud) I waive my suite's upgrade capability to future versions and if I decided after a year to go to CS7 (or whatever it is at that point) I would have to pay the full price again for the Master Collection.
When I heard that, it didn't seem right or fair, but I didn't have the numbers to discuss it further. Since, I have done the math and I see that I am taking an upgrade capability worth $2074 currently ($2599 full price less $525 upgrade price) and waiving it for a $240 discount on the creative cloud for the first year ?! WOW
I am not sure what I am going to do since there is no guarentee the pricing will continue to be $49.99 in coming years and I would like the option to revert back to a perpetual version in the future depending on how things play out.
I would love to see some response from adobe to confirm this is all accurate and how that is the right way to handle it for long term customers who are being faced with a tough, uncertain, and potentially expensive choice (as customer service and sales is closed until monday).
I would also like to have this answered.
So far, I'm not entirely satisfied with Creative Cloud.
I know its too early to tell and there's a lot of room to improve, and I would like to think that Adobe will continue to polish it, but when you depend on their tools to make a living, I just cannot hold the idea that a server problem, some glitch on their end or something totally unexpected can render the apps unusable (just have a look at this forums and all the problems with activations and one issue with a sudden deactivation). I know that the software-as-a-service (SaaS) is a trend that is here to stay (and grow), but I think there's still a lot of ironing and things to fix to us costumers to really adopt it.
Although I took the introductory offer for current customers (yes, I decided to give Adobe the chance), after seeing how the "opening weekend" went, I've been thinking to upgrade my copy of CS 5.5 to a pereptual CS6 (or CS7) license before the suscription ends... I would like to think of it as an "insurance policy" for a worst case scenario: a failure on Adobe´s end on a tight deadline (Murphy's Law, anyone?). However, if what the sales rep told Stipple3D it's true, I'll be more than happy to "return" my Creative Cloud subscription during the 30-days "grace period" and go the usual way.
While I understand (and somewhat agree) that first-time CC costumers are not eligible for an "exit-route" from it, I really believe that loyal users of Adobe, the ones that have been paying them for each release, should always have an exit-route if their interests and satisfaction are not totally meet by Creative Cloud.
Hope we receive a coherent and respectful reply soon...
I was looking for just this answer on the forums and wrote my own question elsewhere before finding this thread.
I agree this is a crucial question that needs to be answered. I'm also in the 30 days grace period myself on Creative Cloud, but I'll be returning it if it turns out there is no going back to perpetual licensing once we take the Cloud for a year long test drive.
The cricket sounds from Adobe on this one are deafening. I hope we hear a concrete answer on this question very soon. The idea of losing upgrade pricing and having to pay full price down the road if I decide to switch back even though I've been a loyal paying customer for almost two decades is a bit frightening.
Here's the answer I got from tech support. (Obviously, I'm saving this):
Thank you for contacting Adobe.
You can upgrade from Photoshop to Adobe cloud, however later again you will not be able to upgrade from Adobe cloud to Photoshop. You will have option to upgrade from Photoshop CS 5 to Photoshop CS 6.
Adobe Tech Chat.
many thanks for the informations. it seems like adobe CC only make sense for those ones updating from a suite CS3 or CS4 and want or need to use the extra software. but for those who are up-to-date with a 5.5-suite or master collection i guess is not a superdeal. are the extra software and services sooo fantastic that you need to move to the cloud just to save the half price for the first year, but giving up the perpetual license? maybe for a creative suite standard or so, but a master collection?
i'm going to update to CC from my old CS3 web. and normal update from my CS5.5 design premium.