Skip navigation
daoldenburger
Currently Being Moderated

Multiprocessing settings with 32GB Ram. Need some help...(CS5.5)

May 10, 2012 6:19 AM

Tags: #memory #after_effects #cs5.5 #multiprocessing #ram_preview #background_processes

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone here is able to help me fine tune the multiprocessing settings in CS5.5.

System specifications:

Windows 7 X64

Intel Core i7 3930k (hexacore). So With hyperthreading enabled this comes down to 12 Cores

32GB Corsair memory

120gb Vertex 3 SSD

I read everything I could about multiprocessing settings on this page: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/543440

But the table giving recommended settings does not go higher than 24GB. I tried a lot of different settings with giving more and less ram to other applications and so forth, but not one setting really gives the performance I am looking for. Render times as a such are not that bad but it's the waiting for the background processes to start thats killing me. Everytime I do a RAM-Preview AE will freeze for a couple of seconds before actually starting to do some work. I realize this has something to do with the amount of memory I give to my processing threads, but I cant find the right balance it seems.

Since I work with a lot of HD footage I set the amount of RAM per thread @ 3GB.

If someone can help me out with this I'll be very gratefull!

With regards,

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to daoldenburger

You've been through EVERYTHING on that page, and no joy yet?

The only recommendation I can make based on the available information is to leave 4 cores for other applications.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to daoldenburger

Use less cores, but enable the disk cache. Many times this has much more impact, if you simply allow AE to cache to disk. Of course it stil ldepends on teh nature of the project, but it's worth trtying. Also, since any cores beyond No. 6 are virtual cores, you are causing extra overhead when attempting the virtual cores. This may have a noticable impact, too. If you get my meaning: Just because you have lots of RAM, doesn't mean that you must/ can use MP in teh way you desire...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points