Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Noel Carboni 23,514 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Defringe All Edges Gone Missing in 7.1

May 8, 2012 3:21 PM

The "Defringe All Edges" function has gone missing and some new controls have taken its place.

Here's a side by side comparison of some palm fronds against a bright sky with the new controls on their defaults...  Camera Raw 6.7 on the left with Defringe All Edges set, and Camera Raw 7.1 RC on the right.  There's more color fringing in the new conversion, since the Defringe All Edges doesn't cover up the Bayer artifacts.

Defringe.jpg

In experimenting, I found I can turn the "Green Amount" slider up off zero and move the color range of the "Greens" defringing over into the Cyan-ish area, which mitigates this.

Is it the intention that with the use of these two color range controls we should be able to produce results as good as with the older code and the Defringe All Edges feature enabled?  I'm not saying the newer version isn't as good or better - I'm just trying to understand the intent.

I'm certainly going to need to do some careful comparitive testing to determine the best defaults.

-Noel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

As far as I can see, it works similar as before. There were just two strengths and fixed hue range before (I suppose), now you have separate pair of sliders for 2 hue ranges and finer control of strength. Tried on some Canon SX110 raws and works very well. Old version wasn't effective enough because amount of fringing is sometimes huge on this cheap 10x zoom lens. The same with 400D kit lens. I've been waiting for this for years

However, although authomatic CA removal is working good so far, maybe it would be fine to have slider as an option in lens profile section

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

What to do when there are fringes of red, green, blue, purple AFTER doing Auto-CA?  There need to be more than two Defringing sliders has been my problem with them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

This version is out only for several days and it wasn't announced on sites like dpreview etc. I discovered it today after reading your post

As about defringe slider in local adjustments someone asked a few days ago (for LR) - it works like sliders for sharpness, NR etc in local adjustments - correcting global amount of defringe for local area - so numbers are different

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The old Defringe All Edges didn’t usually get rid of it all, and just somewhat desaturated wider areas of the image.

The new controls do a better job at eliminating colored fringes for me, but there are not enough colors, sometimes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to ssprengel

If you run out of colors, only recourse is defringing with local paint, which does not know the color contraints that the globals abide by.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey Noel,

I'm not qualified to answer definitively, but my .02: the local defringing has a built in eye-dropper - i.e. it's "adaptive" - i.e. whatever color is fringing in the painted area is the color you're trying to remove. So, the globals need constraints, but the locals - not so much.

I've mostly used the local defringing - carefully and successfully. The globals often do more harm than good still, unless the target fringe is really a consistent/unique color... - has been my experience. "Mostly blue" fringing  around tree leaves in a blue sky is hard to remove with the global... "Truly purple" fringing is more easily removed...

R

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Well, you can use local de-moire here (just don't make selection too big, otherwise it can be quite slow). Works quite good

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Are these all with chroma NR set to 0?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

So is NR the same in all three files? I can see the same "remnant Bayer pattern colors" in both Lr 3.6 and 4.1.

Can you double check that you have the same chroma NR amount in all three versions?

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel,

How do you propose to "drop back"?

Do you propose simply to substitute the 7.0 "Camera Raw.8bi" for the 7.1, or do you intend to reinstall PsCS6?

The reason I ask is that I recollect reading recently somewhere in this forum, I think it may have been Eric Chan but can't be sure, that with CS6 it is no longer possible to roll back from one version of ACR to another simply with a plugin substitution because there are now other relevant files involved.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 10:17 PM   in reply to Andrew_Hart

I just replaced the camera raw.8bi with 7.0 version and it works

7.1RC was way too slow on my system

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2012 1:30 AM   in reply to Vit Novak

Glad to hear that the plugin substitution does in fact work - its always good to have that capability as a safety valve.

I don't know for sure where I read that it wouldn't work but I'm damn sure that I read something to that effect somewhere and from someone who I regarded as a reliable source. Ah well, seems the old memory is not what it used to be.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The changes to CA and Defringe were intentional and will remain as-is.  We actually gathered a lot of feedback during the dev cycle, almost all of which was overwhemingly in favor of the current design.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points