Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

forum support for Adobe Reader

May 4, 2012 8:23 PM

Hi. I have Adobe Reader X version 10.1.3 installed on a Windows OS. It's a nice program, in most respects, and lately it seems to be improving too.  However, it is creating one very annoying problem for me. Every single time I start it up to read a pdf file, it wants to connect to the internet. This should not be happening because I have not configured it for doing so.  In the menu item Edit, Prefences, Updater, I have selected the option "Do not download or install updates automatically." Also, since I have my firewall configured not to allow this action, I have to now deliberately stop what I am doing and click on buttons to deny the internet connection. To say that this is annoying, is, well, a gross understatement.  How can I prevent it from recurring? Thanks.

Wouldn't it be swell if there were an option, while making a post on this forum, to be notified by email whenever I got a response. Jim dandy swell, I think, and efficient. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to bob-user

Sorry, I don't know about your Internet connection question.

Regarding email notifications, I think by default you will get notifications when someone replies in your topic.

If you do not, you can click on 'Receive email notifications' on the Actions panel on the right of your initial post.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to bob-user

No, I just do not know about it.  But there are many other forum users more knowledgeable than me, so you may get your question fully answered in due time.

P.S. did you get the email notification from my post?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to bob-user

It may also help if you post some more information.  You know that the program is connecting to the Internet, but do you know where to - IP address, or server name?  That may also help to determine what is going on.

I may actually do some tests myself...

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to bob-user

I did run a quick test; starting TCPview, then Adobe Reader.  I did indeed see that it connected for a short while to 116.91.142.73, which is a local Akamai server.  Akamai is used by Adobe to download program installs and updates.

I will now try the same after disabling auto-updates.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 11:45 PM   in reply to bob-user

Automatic updates were already disabled, so I do not really know what it was doing.

I also tried to find any logfiles, but without success.  You got me curious now; I hope someone comes up with an answer.  But we may need to wait until the weekend is over...

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2012 8:46 PM   in reply to bob-user

Sorry, if nobody else answers, it means that nobody else knows.

This is mainly a user-to-user forum.  I know that there are a few Adobe employee regulars here at the forum, but they mostly answer questions when someone cannot get Adobe Reader to work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to bob-user

Thanks for the feedback; I also received the explanation from another employee.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 12:14 AM   in reply to bob-user

Are you showing the Welcome Screen when starting Reader without any open documents? If so, there are probably banner messages displayed on it.

Edit > Preferences > General > Messages from Adobe > untick "Show me messages when I launch Reader"

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:36 AM   in reply to bob-user

You have indeed been most patient.  I'm sorry that you have not received the answer you have expected, but this is mostly a user-to-user forum, and it is very rare that Adobe tech staff shows up here.

Unfortunately I do not know any better alternative for you.  You could try the paid tech support, but from all we have heard of that, it is almost guaranteed that they will not be able to help you.

There is one knowledgeable Adobe employee that used to show up here regularly, but I haven't seen him around for a while.  Can you try to send a PM to Ankit_Jain and point him to this topic?  He may have some inside knowledge that we fellow users simply don't have.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 12:44 AM   in reply to bob-user

Another employee you may try to PM is David Kastendick.  There is no guarantee that they can actually help you, but it's certainly worth a try.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points