Skip navigation
niemeyerja-cbHeGc
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with font rendering inside a movie clip.

May 10, 2012 9:02 AM

Tags: #cs5 #text #flash_cs5 #rendering_issues

I have a strange problem, and I haven't seen it anywhere else on the web.

I have a basic flash document with a large number of movie clips activated with  many individual mouse events. The idea is, the user has certain text information displayed whenever they mouse over a certain element. Now, the problem presents itself after the user "mouses over" a good number of the elements. Some of the text appears to have been "painted over" or erased. Here is an example:

Flash Issue.jpg

There are about 160 more of these such movie clips, but not every one of them has this happen. I have compared them and there is nothing different between problem movie clips and normal movie clips.

This is a piece of the actionscript I have, I won't paste it all in here...it's really long:

chadron.buttonMode = true;

chadron.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER, onButtonOver);

chadron.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OUT, onButtonOut);

haysprings.buttonMode = true;

haysprings.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OVER, onButtonOver);

haysprings.addEventListener(MouseEvent.ROLL_OUT, onButtonOut);

hemingford.buttonMode = true;

hemingford.addEventLis...etc.

Thank you for any help. I need it.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to niemeyerja-cbHeGc

What does the onButtonOver and onButtonOut functions look like?  How are each of these movieclip designed?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to niemeyerja-cbHeGc

Try adding one line to the over function as shown below and see if that helps...

function onButtonOver(e:MouseEvent):void

{

addChild(e.currentTarget);

e.currentTarget.gotoAndPlay("over");   

}

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to niemeyerja-cbHeGc

Try changing the line to...

addChild(MovieClip(e.currentTarget));

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to niemeyerja-cbHeGc

You're welcome.

What that does is place the hovered object above anything else on the playing field.  So the problem you were/are having is likely some remnants of hovered pieces that do not manage to transition out fully are left behind and start blocking content.  Some are not sitting below others which would account for some not being affected

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to niemeyerja-cbHeGc

Yeah, I'd be lying if I said I didn't see that coming up.  Had you not already made so many of them I would suggest you take a different approach and use code to manage the transitions instead of the timeline animations.  But here is an option that might work... create an invisible movieclip (alpha = 0) that covers the area below, and each time you addChild(MovieClip(e.currentTarget)), also addChild() that invisible movieclip so that it blocks access to anything beneath it.  If it turns out that you need to be able to interact with what is displayed below that, just switch the order of the addChild()'s so that the invisible movieclip is one below it (and addChild it again for the rollout to avoid the same problem you have now)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points